• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it morally wrong to accept or do cash in hand work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it morally wrong to accept or do cash in hand work?

Poll to follow
    Yes
    10.53%
    No
    68.42%
    A little bit but come on hey!
    21.05%
    Bugger off Andy and chase some rich people!
    0.00%
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Not if you declare it.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Poll to follow
      If you give me a fiver then I will complete the poll - Deal ?

Comment

I've yet to meet someone who has a significant stake in a cash business who wont give a cash price. Therefore the only people handling cash who can be considered moral are those working in retail where they don't have the opportunity to benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
          I've yet to meet someone who has a significant stake in a cash business who wont give a cash price. Therefore the only people handling cash who can be considered moral are those working in retail where they don't have the opportunity to benefit.
          It's only money circulating. It goes into the coffers of shops, pubs & restaurants anyway. It misses one step.

Plus that cash has had a shed load of tax paid on it anyway.

Comment

No, but I think it's morally wrong for someone to masquerade as a conservative while putting across such illiberal, statist arguments (David Gauke). Effectively he's saying HM Government has the right to nose about in your transactions because HM Government knows better.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              It's only money circulating. It goes into the coffers of shops, pubs & restaurants anyway. It misses one step.

Plus that cash has had a shed load of tax paid on it anyway.
              I was trying to point this very same thing out earlier to someone.

For me, it depends on who's doing it. If they're cockknobbers, I'd always want a receipt. If not, I'll ask gently if cash could drop the price somewhat.

I got a healthy discount on two new canoes 3 months ago. They were stock, could be hidden off the books I am guessing, and saved me a decent amount of money, off an already discounted price.

I am tired of Politicians using the morality wild card they are seeming to do at will laterly. For me, and I guess a lot of people on this board, paying as little as you can, is what we're all trying to do, with people having different lines in the sand.

Comment

not as wrong as getting minimum wagers to fund your duck house, moat cleaning or lying about your primary residence to avoid tax and not going to prison for it.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  not as wrong as getting minimum wagers to fund your duck house, moat cleaning or lying about your primary residence to avoid tax and not going to prison for it.
                  Sas was out of order for that, but he has apologised.

Comment

No - it's none of my business how the tradesman runs his accounts. I'm not his mother...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X