• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is middleware?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is middleware?

Reboomed but the end-end client wants a quick skill summary.

One of the topics is "middleware".

I am a .net web dev, i've probably unwittingly used these things. So what do they want me to write?

Lots of Love,

Rob

It's what you stack on the shelf in between hardware and tupperware.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Software that transcends hardware. They probably want you to write an interface to a COTS middleware product. e.g. MQ, MSMQ, Tibco.

Comment

Does ADO count?

Comment

I might be wrong but I always view it as some sort of metadirectory, like the old not-missed Sun Meta-Directory that could take LDAP type stuff and stick it in Oracle and vice-versa, via Perl-driven join-engines that drove me mad the time...

Aslo Messaging Queues and Brokers, sync and async messaging that can take info from one product, re-format in XML and squirt into another and acknowledge it (or not if async). This is where the tester would always say (no, it's not come back or in Oracle, it's sat in MQ....)

So I'd say anything that sits in the middle and does some sort of translation....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            I might be wrong but I always view it as some sort of metadirectory, like the old not-missed Sun Meta-Directory that could take LDAP type stuff and stick it in Oracle and vice-versa, via Perl-driven join-engines that drove me mad the time...

Aslo Messaging Queues and Brokers, sync and async messaging that can take info from one product, re-format in XML and squirt into another and acknowledge it (or not if async). This is where the tester would always say (no, it's not come back or in Oracle, it's sat in MQ....)

So I'd say anything that sits in the middle and ensures testers can carry on invoicing...
            ftfy

Comment

Ok, i am just going to be honest and say i have limited experience there.

Comment

ADO isn't middleware. I think Tibco almost typifies middleware.

Comment

It depends on what context it is used. It is generally a piece of software that is used as an interface between 2 environments, may be software and hardware, or between 2 different pieces of software.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                    Ok, i am just going to be honest and say i have limited experience there.
                    I have limited knowledge of it but it's made me some money down the years.

Comment

Working...
                    X