• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reasons to terminate a three month contract early...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons to terminate a three month contract early...

I've read posts on CUK where some have discussed the possibility of giving early notice on a three month gig.

Being a contractor, I appreciate that I am hired in some cases to work on aspects of a project which either permi staff cannot do or wish not to. I also expect to ignore the politics etc. and do the best I can for the time I am employed. I have done gigs at some rather testing places but I have never cancelled early; that option feels wrong for so many reasons. I would much rather see out the 12 weeks and not renew.

I'm curious as to why some decide to end a contract early which is only due to last for 12 weeks?

Some may just want out, some may have found a 6 month roller thats more lucrative; depends on your morals.

Someone says here, they're a fiscal nomad, and thats about the rub if it: you make your own decisions based on your own ruleset

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
      Some may just want out, some may have found a 6 month roller thats more lucrative; depends on your morals.

Someone says here, they're a fiscal nomad, and thats about the rub if it: you make your own decisions based on your own ruleset
      +1 only contracts I've left rapidly were due to family illness and when the client revealed their real business model wasn't as described at interview and was actually well over the other side of slightly dodgy.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Here we go

Comment

I've done it once, but the role really wasn't as advertised and if I'd have stuck it I'd have become a permietractor in non-job and completely deskilled. Didn't like doing it but had one-week notice and an alternative lined up but the client seemed to appreciate my honesty and getting out quick was the best route rather than wasting everyones time.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            I've done it once, but the role really wasn't as advertised and if I'd have stuck it I'd have become a permietractor in non-job and completely deskilled. Didn't like doing it but had one-week notice and an alternative lined up but the client seemed to appreciate my honesty and getting out quick was the best route rather than wasting everyones time.
            I have left due to this to be honest. I have also left when I have been pushed into PM, to oversee lots of stuff, some not related to my core area. I have no issues leaving any role, for I know the client should have the same sentiment on the other side of the fence. I run a business, just as much as they do, and if it doesn't suit my business, I leave.

Comment

Death march project with incompetent, psychotic PM. Flying out early monday morning, back late Friday evening. Middling rate.

Found a higher paying contract, closer to home, much better environment. Swiss airline cancelled their direct route from Basel to Birmingham, making the original commute even worse, but providing me with a legitimate excuse for jumping ship.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Contract Aids - It worked for Tom Hanks.

Comment

Don't fear the threats either if you get them, very early on in my contracting days, I worked for A Co, and after 4 yrs A Co outsourced to B Outsourcer, I hated B Outsourcer, so asked around A Co for leads etc.

Got letter from A co saying I was using B outsourcers info to secure leads, and I will never work for B Outsourcer again!

Left, within days had two calls from B outsourcer "Can u start Monday in....."

B Outsourcer was a Crap Service Company (see what I did there?)......

Comment

I will travel to different countries to work, but I have never quit a gig early, I have declined an extensions.
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X