• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I see JobSwerve has been messing up its website even more badly than it was today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see JobSwerve has been messing up its website even more badly than it was today

Which one of you has been working on it?

Honestly, is it really so hard to:
    1. Recognise the difference between an Android tablet, and an Android phone, and direct me to the appropriate version?

2. And if you can't manage that much, when I choose the 'Full' version of your site actually remember what I told you, and don't revert back to your clumsily-chosen version instead the very next time I inadvertently refresh the page by adjusting a combo box?

3. And, whilst we're on the subject, why in the hell are you refreshing the full page just because I chose a different value from a single combo box (which may be one of several changes I want to make). Have you heard of this thing called AJAX, at all? Or maybe having a "OK, I'm finished" button so that several changes to criteria can be made in one single transaction?

4. Have an option to show a simple list of full adverts, rather than making me interact with a list of the ten or so adverts that I get back from having carefully narrowed my criteria, with me having to click individually into each one if I want to see the detail? I realise that your design is the cleverest, most efficient use of space on the planet (at least in your own mind), but really, sometimes people just want to read a static page with a modest amount of information in it rather than perpetually fight with your lousy Rubik's Cube of a design travesty.

I could go on. But since it's JobSwerve and I've limited time available in the 45,000 hours remaining until I retire I'll leave it there.

I'm fairly sure Ajax doesn't work well with android...

Comment

I was halfway through a review when this weird site suddenly appeared!

It looks a right abortion, far too busy and looks like a developer has over indulged themselves.

We just want a straightforward site to search for jobs, review jobs then apply for them.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        I was halfway through a review when this weird site suddenly appeared!

It looks a right abortion, far too busy and looks like a developer has over indulged themselves.

We just want a straightforward site to search for jobs, review jobs then apply for them.
        What do you mean by "review"?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          No reason why it shouldn't. WebKit has full support for XMLHttpRequest which is basically what "Ajax" is the fancy name for.

Why is XML in all-capitals but HTTP in mixed case in the name of that object? It's been annoying me for years, that

We can't even blame Microsoft, who invented it (though in a clumsy and unwieldy form, as usual) as the IXMLHTTPRequest interface of MSXML: they capitalised the tulip out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            No, but it leaves the screen nice and shiny after a good scrub.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              No reason why it shouldn't. WebKit has full support for XMLHttpRequest which is basically what "Ajax" is the fancy name for.

Why is XML in all-capitals but HTTP in mixed case in the name of that object? It's been annoying me for years, that

We can't even blame Microsoft, who invented it (though in a clumsy and unwieldy form, as usual) as the IXMLHTTPRequest interface of MSXML: they capitalised the tulip out of it.
              I just know it has issues. I have performed work arounds, but XMLHttpRequest isn't 100% reliable.

Comment

The thing I hate the most about new JobSwerve site is how now you can only search by one country at a time. I now only use the iPad app as there you can search across multiple countries in Europe, as you could last year on Jobserve. Could be the same on the android app I'm not sure?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Nick's right. It's literally only about 10 lines of JavaScript to call a serverside web service via XMLHttpRequest, get the data back in JSON or whatever you need, and off you go. Forget about browser compatibility issues - there'll be a new one out every week from now to kingdom come to worry about and you can't possibly catch them all. So, other than your custom XMLHttpRequest JavaScript, best just to mainly stick to working with standard JS libraries like jQuery to deal with clientside interactivity after that. When in time there's a new popular browser that you need to support, you can bet there'll be a new well-tested version of whichever JS library you were using that will come along soon afterwards. If you write too much custom code, in short order you'll only end up with something that worked great once with IE6/Firefox 4/etc., but that is useless going forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post

Which one of you has been working on it?

Honestly, is it really so hard to:

Give me a break! It takes a while to get the hang of this HTML stuff.

I'll get there in the end though
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X