• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I join a union through my ltd co?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I join a union through my ltd co?

Just wondered if anyone has ever had any experience of joining a union thru their ltd company? Or is it better to join in person? Would this put me outside IR35 in any way?

I have the opportunity to join PCS at current client and I am wondering if it may help when it comes to renewal time.

Originally posted by BusinessAnalyst2012 View Post
    Just wondered if anyone has ever had any experience of joining a union thru their ltd company? Or is it better to join in person? Would this put me outside IR35 in any way?

I have the opportunity to join PCS at current client and I am wondering if it may help when it comes to renewal time.
    Derr, yeah....

Comment

What?!?

Go and join the PCG if you have the urge.

(A Union FFS... )
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'm relatively new here (even if I did register a while back), but even I know this guy's trolling.

Comment

If you need a union type organisation then these are aimed as business owners:
          1. FSB
          2. IOD

If you are looking for something specifically for contractors then have a look at the PCG

And no joining the PCS will not help come renewal time. The only things that will help are:
          1. You being good at what you do
          2. You not p*ssing off the client
          3. You not breaching any of the client's rules on how long a contractor can stay.
          4. The client having money to keep you.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
            I'm relatively new here (even if I did register a while back), but even I know this guy's trolling.
            Well the next troll post and he'll get a ban.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Well the next troll post and he'll get a ban.
              Actually, FWIW, I think you and the others handle these guys very well. For the most part they get ignored, and just occasionally get to roast on the wit of forum members who no-doubt see them for what they are. It'd be a reaction to get you to ban them immediately every time (and of course you'd inevitably catch some real newbies that are genuinely asking naive questions in the net if you did so).

My comment wasn't a criticism of your allowing this guy to continue posting pointless threads asking questions that no real contractor would ask. It was just a comment on the fact that he's not even a good enough troll to get past my limited BS filter, let alone people who've been here a significant amount of time.

Comment

Actually, FWIW, I think you and the others handle these guys very well. For the most part they get ignored, and just occasionally get to roast on the wit of forum members who no-doubt see them for what they are. It'd be a reaction to get you to ban them immediately every time (and of course you'd inevitably catch some real newbies that are genuinely asking naive questions in the net if you did so).

My comment wasn't a criticism of your allowing this guy to continue posting pointless threads asking questions that no real contractor would ask. It was just a comment on the fact that he's not even a good enough troll to get past my limited BS filter, let alone people who've been here a significant amount of time.
                Yeah, but if I get a batch of them together I get irritated and wipe them all out.

Comment

Have you got an apple as well?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Yeah, but if I get a batch of them together I get irritated and wipe them all out.
                    I don't know if it's vBulletin that CUK uses, but there was an add-on "Tachy Goes To Coventry" a few years back, that the moderators in a board I was a member of elsewhere used to find very satisfying and effective in dealing with trolling.

Rather than banning someone outright, it invisibly added a troll to everyone's Ignore List behind the scenes, whilst removing any and all signs that had been done from everybody's perspective. From a normal FM's viewpoint, the troll would just appear to have stopped posting new threads or comments in existing threads (they wouldn't even see the usual "This post is hidden because 'X' is on your Ignore List" marker). And for the troll, they'd still see their own threads and contributions, but it would appear like everyone was simply ignoring them. It was very effective.

Comment

Working...
                    X