• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Furrin Doctors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Furrin Doctors

Just a question but can a doctor who gained his MD in , say Kinshasa, qualify to work in the NHS?

I doubt very much that the path to becoming a doctor in most parts of the developing world (with perhaps the exception of India) is subject to the rigorous strictures applied to the process in developed countries to weed out the wheat from the chaff.

If my premise is correct, we are getting a substandard service and we should be angry about that. Now, I could be wrong of course but a number of experiences, both personal and anecdotal, have led me to ponder this question.

It's looks like the GMC have thought about this: GMC | Acceptable primary medical qualification

Face it - you're just as likely to get a substandard service from someone born, raised and educated in London.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The GMC fitness to practise hearings are online somewhere, they make for interesting reading in those regards.

I am told British doctors are mainly up for being pissed on the job and getting caught with drugs, foreign doctors are up for total medical arsery and pervertery.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        It's looks like the GMC have thought about this: GMC | Acceptable primary medical qualification

Face it - you're just as likely to get a substandard service from someone born, raised and educated in London.
        In addition, international medical graduates will be required to demonstrate their medical knowledge and skills, knowledge of English, and fitness to practise before they are registered with a licence to practise.
        Ok, but...

From the Telegraph:

In a letter to The Daily Telegraph the heads of two royal colleges say that “stifling” EU laws are damaging medical care.

They warn that there are “huge variations” in the ability and training of doctors from abroad and that those with poor language skills are still able to work in the NHS.

Comment

There needs to be a scientific study into any relationship between clinical errors or unprofessional conduct and unpronounceable doctor's names other than the one I unscientifically maintain that is.

Anyway, most NHS patients are furrin too

Based on minestrone's search words, a page of on-going investigations. What they get up to seems quite varied:
          GMC | Calendar of Fitness to Practise cases

Not sure if any of them ever even get a slapped wrist though.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
            but a number of experiences, both personal and anecdotal, have led me to ponder this question.
            I have read enough of your posts to conclude that you are furrin.

Comment

I think non-EU docs have to take the PLAB test;

GMC | Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB)

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                Ok, but...

From the Telegraph:
                In a letter to The Daily Telegraph the heads of two royal colleges say that “stifling” EU laws are damaging medical care.

They warn that there are “huge variations” in the ability and training of doctors from abroad and that those with poor language skills are still able to work in the NHS.
                The original question was Kinshasa - which isn't part of the EU.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                  Ok, but...

From the Telegraph:
                  I remember their complaints when it first appeared. There was a story of German and Greek doctors with no English being supplied by agencies and there was nothing the hospital could do about it under EU rules.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That really is some going it has to be said, responsible for 2 deaths on your first shift in the country.

Comment

Working...
                    X