• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Theirs is bigger than yours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theirs is bigger than yours

There's an article on the BBC today about superyachts owned by the rich and famous arriving in London for the Olympics. The one called 'Octopus', owned by Microsoft's Paul Allen, is a bit of a cracker: 126 metres long, seven smaller boats on board, two submarines, two helipads. When it comes to Channel Crossings, I bet he doesn't believe in ferries.

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    There's an article on the BBC today about superyachts owned by the rich and famous arriving in London for the Olympics. The one called 'Octopus', owned by Microsoft's Paul Allen, is a bit of a cracker: 126 metres long, seven smaller boats on board, two submarines, two helipads. When it comes to Channel Crossings, I bet he doesn't believe in ferries.
    Saw it yesterday when I popped out for a smoke. So extravagant.

The thing that comes to mind when I see such excess is what a lot of good could be done if the money had been given to some deserving causes, and would I spend my money on that if I had that much? I suppose if I had it I may consider it but in my current state I could think of better things to spend it on/donate it to.

Yes I know its probably owned by a company, and rented out etc... But what good could you do with 130M.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

The thing that comes to mind when I see such excess is what a lot of good could be done if the money had been given to some deserving causes, and would I spend my money on that if I had that much? I suppose if I had it I may consider it but in my current state I could think of better things to spend it on/donate it to.

Yes I know its probably owned by a company, and rented out etc... But what good could you do with 130M.
      Well, I am sure he pays his taxes.

Comment

I hear what you say. I was reading recently how Warren Buffett has given away $30 Billion to Bill and Melinda Gates' Foundation, which helps children in developing countries and such like. Also, despite having been the world's richest man several times, he still lives in a modest house that cost him $30k some years back. He seems like a pretty happy guy with his life in persepctive.

I don't think there's anything wrong with acquiring wealth. And, a cynical little part of me wonders if the vast sums of money that Buffett and other pour into good causes isn't merely an excuse for the rest of us, including first world governments, to do less than we should and perhaps otherwise would. I still can't help but admire the gesture, though.

Comment

...for the rest of us, including first world governments, ...
          How quaint. You still believe you live in a 1st world country.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

I hear what you say. I was reading recently how Warren Buffett has given away $30 Billion to Bill and Melinda Gates' Foundation, which helps children in developing countries and such like. Also, despite having been the world's richest man several times, he still lives in a modest house that cost him $30k some years back. He seems like a pretty happy guy with his life in persepctive.

I don't think there's anything wrong with acquiring wealth. And, a cynical little part of me wonders if the vast sums of money that Buffett and other pour into good causes isn't merely an excuse for the rest of us, including first world governments, to do less than we should and perhaps otherwise would. I still can't help but admire the gesture, though.
            Neither do I, but I can take issue with the way some people acquire it.

However, while acquiring and enjoying wealth is fine to me, I think it's worthwhile to exercise some good taste and consideration when displaying it.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

When I was in Juan Les Pins in June, Yacht A came into the harbour. Andrey Melnichenko and his missus came ashore in the tender and had lunch on the next table to us.

Yacht A
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                According to his biog, it cost half a billion dollars.
                I found myself wondering how much it would cost to even crew the thing, whilst you weren't using it.
                Last edited by Gentile; 26 July 2012, 09:11. Reason: typo

Comment

What a waste! All those mining jobs to bring up the raw materials and design and manufacturing jobs that have been created, plus the R&D jobs in developing new materials. I am sure new labour could have spent it better paying public sector workers to do non jobs and pay more people to sit at home and not work.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

A friend of mine spent some time on that yacht taking part in a documentary, Paul Allen loaned it and paid for the filming, I've had a look at his photos of the interior which is amazing.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X