• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PAYG VoIP providers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAYG VoIP providers

I'm looking for a UK VoIP provider with no ongoing monthly fee.

That is other than Voipfone, who I already use. Voipfone are fine but I would like to have an extra outgoing caller ID, and if I'm going to have more than one SIP account then I figured it would be sensible to have these with different providers from an availability/redundancy perspective.

I might also see if Voipfone allow signup to multiple single-user PAYG accounts as opposed to paying for the multi-user virtual PBX option which I don't need.

The only other providers I can find so far are sipgate and DrayTEL.

Are there any others to consider?

We' use 2 x SIP trunks from SIPgate into a virtual Elastics box.

Been running since around Dec 2011. No problems to date.

Gareth

Comment

What's wrong with Skype?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        What's wrong with Skype?
        exactly what I was going to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          What's wrong with Skype?
          - Call quality is unacceptably tulip*
          - Outgoing caller ID doesn't always work
          - They don't offer SIP accounts
          - More expensive than vanilla VoIP/SIP
          - Non-software solution requires custom hardware

* You can get away with Skype-to-Skype as then both parties are aware and readily accept the limitations, but for business phone calls it falls too far short of being a serious contender imho.

I do use Skype, even paid for an "online number", but I now realise this was a mistake (see above) and am looking to port the number to one of the VoIP providers.

Comment

Working...
          X