• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it me or is the latest uTorrent a villainous piece of malware?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it me or is the latest uTorrent a villainous piece of malware?

Until recently uTorrent was a civilized and useful program, until about month ago when it started incessantly nagging to be updated.

Eventually conceding defeat, just to see the back of all the "new updates are available, are you really sure you don't want to update?" popups, I reluctantly did.

Of course I was careful to untick any boxes that asked if it was OK to take over my browser and computer. But the new version went ahead and did so anyway!

After failing to uninstall it using the standard Windows uninstall, I've just spent 20 minutes picking through the Registry obliterating anything containing "Vuze", "Conduit", "ej-technologies", "uTorrent", and now thankfully all trace of it is gone.

(Presumably another dastardly malware technique is to install under all kinds of different names, sockies if you like, so that if one goes then it can hang on and maybe even reinstall itself.)

It seems as if after a stint on their best behaviour all these programs "go bad". I wonder if that is planned from the outset, or do they start out altruistic and are later taken over by mercenary scumbags and become victims of their own success?

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else had recently encountered problems with uTorrent, and if so what a good replacement might be.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Why not keep an old PC on which to run any dodgy software.

Java and Adobe seem to be the same, in the sense of always seeming to want to update.

Comment

Can't say I've had that problem. Just did an update check now as well and I'm on the latest version...
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

Java and Adobe seem to be the same, in the sense of always seeming to want to update.
        I was just thinking that, or maybe a brace of virtual PCs on the one box.

I don't mind Adobe and Firefox updating, although the frequency is rather tiresome, every other day practically.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I don't mind Adobe and Firefox updating, although the frequency is rather tiresome, every other day practically.
          Or just use the old version :| I rolled mine back a few months back when the interface went all busy and started doing things I didnt need. Mine is 2.2.1

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I have a virtual machine for work. I have a vm for surfing. I have a vm for plan b. if your surfing vm catches a cold just restore the whole thing from backup, and windows update et voila.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              I have a virtual machine for work. I have a vm for surfing. I have a vm for plan b. if your surfing vm catches a cold just restore the whole thing from backup, and windows update et voila.
              What a complete waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                What a complete waste of time.
                Who's sockie is this?
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Who's sockie is this?
                  Id wager that you have spent more time on virtualisation than you ever have done on your "plan B".

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

Use a VM grandad.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X