• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Empty Seats at the London Olympics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Empty Seats at the London Olympics

What do you think caused it ? do you think corporations bought a load as "gifts" to their execs and business partners who then never used them or maybe was it the government / public sector getting a load and again giving it away to those higher tier civil servants who then didn't bother turning up or do you think its plain old ticket touts who couldn't sell them on at ridiculously high prices ?

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
    What do you think caused it ? do you think corporations bought a load as "gifts" to their execs and business partners who then never used them or maybe was it the government / public sector getting a load and again giving it away to those higher tier civil servants who then didn't bother turning up or do you think its plain old ticket touts who couldn't sell them on at ridiculously high prices ?
    Happens at all big events. Tickets given away to corporates who cant be arsed going, bought by agency touts who try and shift them on for huge profit and fail.

Happened at Euro 96. All the grounds were sold out for lots of games with no tickets available only on the day, all the stadiums were half full at best.

Dont know why you're suggestting its higher grade civil servants, look to sponsors and touts imo.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

It's probably because so many of the people that should be in those seats are stuck in traffic jams caused by the olympic lanes.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The whole ticketing process has been very cumbersome and onoreous and not surprised there would be empty seats as a result.

This is summed up by Lord Coe's comments this morning - BBC News - London 2012: Olympics venues 'stuffed to gunnels' - Lord Coe who it seems (at point of typing) has turned a blind eye to the whole ridiculous process all the way through.

Comment

Maybe the whole ridiculous lottery based ticketing system has put off punters from buying the tickets. What happened to good old fashioned way of selling tickets to first come first serve. The only reason why I havent bothered to buy any tickets if I am honest.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
            What do you think caused it ? do you think corporations bought a load as "gifts" to their execs and business partners
            I am planning to use mine

Tickets should have been auctioned - starting from the most desireable, then maybe those who paid their own money for them would actually borther to turn up. The revenue from higher priced tickets would probably make sponsors unnecessary - if anything Olympics are being brought into disrepute by crazy sponsor demands.

Comment

Because the events are tulip, bet its full for the 100m. I mean who cares about Cycling, Sailing Judo and utter crud like that.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                Because the events are tulip, bet its full for the 100m. I mean who cares about Cycling, Sailing Judo and utter crud like that.
                Well yesterdays bike race was reckoned to have drawn over a million people out to line the streets, the biggest olympic crowd ever, so it would seem that quite a few people do care.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Well yesterdays bike race was reckoned to have drawn over a million people out to line the streets, the biggest olympic crowd ever, so it would seem that quite a few people do care.
                  Yeah when it's free then it's a bit more interesting than Corrie.

Comment

Serves them fecking right.

They should give the tickets away free to British citizens.
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                    X