• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The AndyW prize

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The AndyW prize

The AndyW prize is awarded for innovative artistic creations by CUK members.
    See http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1584128

Entries must be your own work, and can be accompanied by explanatory notes to aid those CUK members who lack the cultural capital to make an informed interpretation.

When we have a few entries, I'll add a poll.
    Cliphead - Sunset/Misty Morning
    0.00%
    Gentile -The Tools of My Tirade/Listening to Radio 4 in the Bath
    20.00%
    HyperD - Untitled
    0.00%
    k2p2 - The Ironing Pile
    6.67%
    MarillionFan - Do you know the way to San Jose
    6.67%
    Mich the Tester - Consular Diptych
    0.00%
    NotAllThere - Cup
    0.00%
    NorthernLadyUK - Hubby 2.0
    0.00%
    Old Greg - Caged oblivion
    20.00%
    Pondlife - Once in a lifetime moment
    6.67%
    Timberwolf - Two day old coconut
    26.67%
    AndyW - The artist's mother
    13.33%

The poll is expired.

k2p2's entry - The ironing pile

In this work, I have tried to invoke the transience of life. The photo captures an instance, but the ironing pile will have changed as soon as someone searches for a lost sock. As a work composed of soft fabrics in a domestic setting, the ironing pile challenges gendered stereotypes of the traditional marble sculpture displayed in a public place or gallery. By refusing to be contained within its basket, spilling over into the surrounding room, the ironing pile also questions the view of a work of art as a finite, contained entity. Giving the ironing pile the status of a work of art reflects the microcosm/macrocosm beliefs of Renaissance artists such as DaVinci - the presence of the ironing pile makes the room a work of art, and therefore the house, the street, the town, the country and the universe become an infinite installation. We, as spectators of the work, are caught in an instant of the dynamic art of life.

Comment

I call it "The Tools of My Tirade". In the background, an ancient image of Grand Central Station pays homage to the achievements of engineers from years gone past, whilst in the foreground the tools of modern artisans are displayed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
        I call it "The Tools of My Tirade". In the background, an ancient image of Grand Central Station pays homage to the achievements of engineers from years gone past, whilst in the foreground the tools of modern artisans are displayed.
        Excellent. Although you did miss the perfect opportunity to use the word juxtaposition.

Comment

Hubby 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post

On a practical note, a health 'n safety Nazi would have a seizure if they saw how you were sitting at your laptop, off to one side and too low.

Do you tend to get a lot of back aches?
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Hubby 2.0

He's a contractor FFS. Invest in a flatscreen monitor.

Could I also draw your attention to the one and only rule:

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
              Entries must be your own work.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                On a practical note, a health 'n safety Nazi would have a seizure if they saw how you were sitting at your laptop, off to one side and too low.

Hubby 2.0 is a much healthier working posture.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Yes.

But if i didn't sit like that, then where would the cat go?

I also have a tendency to stand on my chair in the office, or sit with my feet on the seat and my bottom on the armrest if I'm having a really deep think.

Comment

PS: "The Tools of My Tirade" is only one in a series of pieces exploring the subject of 'Health and Safety Gone Mad'. This is another, entitled "Listening to Radio 4 in The Bath". With the alternate title "Imminent Electrocution Accompanied by The Now Show".

Comment

Working...
                    X