• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Olympic economic boost

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olympic economic boost

Will the Olympics get the economy growing again? Don't bank on itWill the Olympics get the economy growing again? Don't bank on it | Sport | The Observer

Hopefully this guardian article will be like most of the rest - a load of bollux.

Come on Britain! We can grow our way out of this recession! Please...

It will if we can win some of our gold back.

Comment

Most of Olympic related spending has already happened - the only extra that can happen will be due to tourism.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Most of Olympic related spending has already happened - the only extra that can happen will be due to tourism.
        Oh come come

Who can watch that opening ceremony and not think "great, I'll buy a Landrover"... oh, no, hang on, that's Tata. I mean a Rolls Royce... oh, no again, BMW... ok, we're fooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          It will if we can win some of our gold back.
          LoL

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I was rather hoping that some companies might decide to invest in the UK. But I am probably wrong :-

Olympics are a great success but won - "So let’s enjoy the Olympics for the sense of togetherness they are creating, as well as for the athletes’ sporting prowess – but let’s not pretend that it will turn out to be a substitute for tough economic decisions."

Comment

I read over the weekend that LOCOG had to give 20,000 unfilled hotel rooms back and that it's cheap as chips to get a hotel in London at the moment.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

When we were in London last week some of the official merchandise (soft toy mascots) were for sale @ £19.99. I told the youngest that I wasn't paying that, so instead we got them from tesco @ £7.37

However I expect that some tourists will get suckered in and some shops will make a killing

Comment

The word on the street is 'triple dip'.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Triple dip - I'll have to ask NorthernLadyUk what means, sounds kinky.

We had the boost.It meant the Spanish could afford to take on half our bank accounts, I look forward to Poland buying the Palace of Westminster with the proceeds of the building work.

not sure what the UK got except Zil lanes.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X