• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Abolish Tax Discs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abolish Tax Discs?

Hi,

Apart from the fact that the case could be better presented, I think this is an excellent proposition and I am at a loss as to why it has so few signatures.

Abolish paper-based car tax disc - e-petitions

£90M is spent by the government administering tax discs (source BVRLA), not to mention the administrative costs to companies and individuals. The revenue currently generated could be obtained from a rise in fuel duty thus saving the tax payer the £90M.

If you agree, please sign the petition.

Cheers,

Al.
    Back at the coal face

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
    Hi,

Apart from the fact that the case could be better presented, I think this is an excellent proposition and I am at a loss as to why it has so few signatures.

Abolish paper-based car tax disc - e-petitions

£90M is spent by the government administering tax discs (source BVRLA), not to mention the administrative costs to companies and individuals. The revenue currently generated could be obtained from a rise in fuel duty thus saving the tax payer the £90M.

If you agree, please sign the petition.

Cheers,

Al.
    No. I don't like the suggestion about raising fuel duty. Why not do a petition that says abolish tax discs and drops fuel duty. I'll sign that one thanks.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Ridiculous idea. It makes it far easier for local busy bodies to check the disc. Then send off for a reward if they find someone without.

Or maybe there should be a website where you can check the tax disc status of every registration.

Comment

No!

I have a new tax disk holder and I wanna use it!

Comment

Because people think that fuel duty is high enough so if someone suggest raising it and the expense of lowering something else it will still be slapped down. Also if you ask the police they will say no to the idea as the number of cars they stop on the pretense of not having a tax disc (even though its not a criminal matter), then finding out other more serious offenses like no insurance or MOT
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Just dont bother having a physical display, police have anpr which can check tax and insurance status. I expect these can be made handheld or made into a smartphone app for plod to use on the move if needed.
            No tax and no excuse ? Its off to the auctions, revenue back into the coffers.

Comment

Too many people think scrapping the road tax disc will save them money because the duty is added to fuel instead. But fuel is ******* expensive enough thanks.

But the main problem with scrapping the tax disc is vehicle registration and ownership still has to be done so the tax disc would be replaced by an admin fee charge. This might start off at a fiver a year (some hope) but would soon be 100 quid or more a year and subject to annual increases.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                Just dont bother having a physical display, police have anpr which can check tax and insurance status. I expect these can be made handheld or made into a smartphone app for plod to use on the move if needed.
                No tax and no excuse ? Its off to the auctions, revenue back into the coffers.
                Already one step ahead of you, I was part of the team that lead to PNC (Police National Computer) getting approval to be used on BlackBerry's back in 2006 http://ogc.o2.co.uk/pdf/J4118_west_yorks_police.pdf
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

The tax disc is a visible symbol that you have (or had at the time or buying it anyway) valid insurance. Slightly reduces the number of uninsured drivers perhaps.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    The tax disc is a visible symbol that you have (or had at the time or buying it anyway) valid insurance. Slightly reduces the number of uninsured drivers perhaps.
                    It's also a visible symbol that you had a valid MOT at the time of purchase.

Don't let them fool you by saying scrapping the tax disc will eliminate the road fund tax. Plenty of other countries manage to collect a yearly tax on vehicles without using a tax disc.

P.S. Are tax discs still colour coded? I think at one time all a copper had to do was to look at the colour and decide to pounce stop you.

P.P.S. Anyone for snooker?
                    Last edited by Sysman; 31 July 2012, 10:14.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X