• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nasa Curiosity rover - will it land successfully on Mars ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nasa Curiosity rover - will it land successfully on Mars ?

Bonkers landing strategy involving parachutes deployed at 900mph, jet thrusters lowering the whole caboodle to within 20m of the surface and then the lander lowered down on wires.

NASA's nuclear Mars tank prepares for high pucker-factor landing ? The Register

Will it work ?
    Not a chance
    37.50%
    Hell yeah
    50.00%
    MMMmmmm, maybe
    0.00%
    It's going down faster than AndyW's mum
    12.50%

If it does it will be a temendous achievement, looking forward to this one.

As long as they don't confuse metric with imperial they've got a chance
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Absolutely no ******* way. This is way more complicated than a secret warehouse in Area 51
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Looking forward to this for some strange indefinable reason. Watched the animation of the landing (planned anyway) and looks truly awesome and if they pull it off, then it is truly hats off to the engineers.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
          Looking forward to this for some strange indefinable reason. Watched the animation of the landing (planned anyway) and looks truly awesome and if they pull it off, then it is truly hats off to the engineers.
          Audacity my friend.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            Audacity my friend.
            Actually, I think that you've got the right word there, truly audacious.

I wonder if the guys who designed it played lunar lander much as kids.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
              I wonder if the guys who designed it played lunar lander much as kids.
              They'll be used to crashing a lot if they did
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
                Bonkers landing strategy involving parachutes deployed at 900mph, jet thrusters lowering the whole caboodle to within 20m of the surface and then the lander lowered down on wires.

NASA's nuclear Mars tank prepares for high pucker-factor landing ? The Register

Will it work ?
                That depends, Do we know if Howard Wolowitz designed it?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  I think he designed that crazy retrorocket thing on strings.

Have they calculated how big the hole it makes will be?
                  Enough to fill the Albert Hall, or 4000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire.

Comment

Working...
                  X