• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OCD - is it made worse by IT work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OCD - is it made worse by IT work?

Some would say most people have a bit of OCD but I wonder if there is more OCD in the IT community.

Personally, mine is getting worse as I get older, as OCD does I'm afraid. I am constantly counting stuff. Number plates are a nightmare for me when I'm driving. I find it hard to read text on the screen without adding up the letters according to my scoring system (when I hit a certain number I start square rooting!!). Very distracting. I don't know if I've been drawn to computers because of this obsessiveness or if I've become like this due to spending huge amounts of time programming over the last 25 years.

I have observed more people in IT have similar, than I've come across outside IT.

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    I have observed more people in IT have similar, than I've come across outside IT.
    Dont think its made 'worse' by IT work, its just that a higher proportion of people who are drawn to IT and related (maths, physics etc) disciplines often do so as they are lacking in the social and interaction skills to pursue another route and prefer working within their own mind rather than interacting with their environment.

In my experience basically everyone i've met who is particularly gifted at say maths for example, I could identify some form of mild autism/ocd style behaviour in them. Not saying that's a bad thing.

I'm crap at maths and therefore never had any interest in it but would happily trade a mild dose of OCD to be gifted in it.

Comment

I used to have OCD - but have stopped since I started working in IT. Except for the counting thread - its my only vice.

Comment

back in the day before OCD was invented - did anyone think there was anything strange with people who are gifted in Maths/Physics?

just seems that nowadays we try and apply labels when none are needed.

Comment

I have CDO

It's like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order like they ******* should be
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

I dont have OCD, but have CDO, where the letters are in the correct order

Comment

I've got the aussie rock version - OC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                I have CDO

It's like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order like they ******* should be
                Haha, you just beat me to it

Comment

Anything you practice, you get better at.

So if you're job involves looking for patterns and logic, it makes sense that will spill over into your personal life.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                    if you're job involves looking for patterns and logic,
                    15 years in corporate IT departments has cured me of that delusion.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X