PDA

View Full Version : Bee Keeping

Malcolm Buggeridge
2nd August 2012, 09:41
Does anyone keep bees?

It's something I've wanted to do for years. Very apt for a man like myself who enjoys those garden pottering jobs.

So. I'm off to visit a local keeper on Saturday having met him at a seminar on the subject some weeks ago.

It is a meeting that I am going to approach with some trepidation for I have never been stung by a bee and it is recommended that I receive a sting under controlled conditions just to make sure I don't collapse with anaphylactic shock or die in a fit of apoplexy :eek

Pondlife
2nd August 2012, 09:52
Fingers crossed.

fullyautomatix
2nd August 2012, 10:05
Well who would have thought ? A bee ! A bee would finally get rid of this oxygen thief. Fingers crossed ! Come on bee !

oracleslave
2nd August 2012, 10:09
It is a meeting that I am going to approach with some trepidation for I have never been stung by a bee and it is recommended that I receive a sting under controlled conditions just to make sure I don't collapse with anaphylactic shock or die in a fit of apoplexy :eek

Bee careful

zara_backdog
2nd August 2012, 10:10
Thought there was a lack of bees at the moment?

Malcolm Buggeridge
2nd August 2012, 10:18
Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your concern Pondy, I'm sure I'll be ok!

EternalOptimist
2nd August 2012, 10:41
what would you rather be or a wasp ?

BrilloPad
2nd August 2012, 12:20
I worked with someone once who was insufferable know it all. Knew everything about everything. One day someone boned up on bee keeping to try to catch him out. Sure enough he knew it all. I fooking hate people like that.

oracleslave
2nd August 2012, 12:43
I worked with someone once who was insufferable know it all. Knew everything about everything. One day someone boned up on bee keeping to try to catch him out. Sure enough he knew it all. I fooking hate people like that.

unbeelievable

Doggy Styles
2nd August 2012, 13:30
Malc, it's a myth that bees cannot fly, so watch out for yourself.

It's also a myth that if you eat enough royal jelly you turn into a bee, like Timothy West did once.

Robinho
2nd August 2012, 13:40
My old man used to keep bees. ATM there are too many keeping them and they're struggling to survive. Bit like all the bobs depressing the rates.

Scoobos
2nd August 2012, 13:43
Be warned, if you want to get qualified in it - or take a course; the waiting list is unbelievable.

I was shocked when I enquired and wrote it off as I'm never in the same place to be able to commit to a course 3 years off.

Malcolm Buggeridge
2nd August 2012, 14:02
It's also a myth that if you eat enough royal jelly you turn into a bee, like Timothy West did once.

BZZZ I know DS. BZZZ I BZZZ have BZZZ a spoonful BZZZ every morning BZZZ with my breakfast BZZZ and it's never BZZZ done me any harm BZZZ

Malcolm Buggeridge
2nd August 2012, 14:03
Be warned, if you want to get qualified in it - or take a course; the waiting list is unbelievable.

I was shocked when I enquired and wrote it off as I'm never in the same place to be able to commit to a course 3 years off.

You mean all the Islington luvvie downsizers are all at it...

AtW
2nd August 2012, 14:04
Bee careful

:laugh

:yay:

Bee gone sockie!!! :mad

AlfredJPruffock
2nd August 2012, 14:13
Near Aberdeen - there is a town named Effen - which had a legendary Beekeeper - and a Big Effen Bee ....

xoggoth
2nd August 2012, 14:16
Darn bees are always dying out over something. Buncha wimps. Honey is pretty yucky stuff anyway. People could keep wasps instead and harvest paper or greenfly and harvest honeydew.

AtW
2nd August 2012, 14:42

:wink

BS1397
2nd August 2012, 14:48
I knew someone who used to keep bees and apart from the honey they made excellent security guards as burglars would be put off the property, so he said.

xoggoth
2nd August 2012, 16:54
That's odd. I read this today and then this afternon I got stung by a bee as I accidentally put my hand on it, only time since I was about 5.

PS The bee was ok.

al_cam
2nd August 2012, 17:21
Never kept bees myself, but my sister did and I know a lot about it - absolutely fascinating hobby - I didn't emphasise that enough - bees are amazing.

You will never make any money at it, but it is perfect for someone who likes pottering.

Also, I don't think there are too many people keeping bees, the biggest problem bees have is varroa.

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Al.

Malcolm Buggeridge
2nd August 2012, 22:10
That's odd. I read this today and then this afternon I got stung by a bee as I accidentally put my hand on it, only time since I was about 5.

PS The bee was ok.

Glad to see you didn't get anaphylactic shock Xog!

xoggoth
2nd August 2012, 22:22
Showed how very effective the sting adaptation is as a deterrent. The pain was so instant I pulled my hand away before I put any significant pressure on the bee. Painful very briefly but after about a minute or two I couldn't feel it all.