PDA

View Full Version : The times they are a changing - Hotels

EternalOptimist
2nd August 2012, 11:02
Stayed in quite a few hotels over the last few weeks, and I noticed three very interesting things.

well, they are interesting to me. Thats what I mean. I am not implying that everyone will find them interesting

1. WiFi now comes as standard
2. Coffe and tea and kettle in the room are a thing of the past
3. Cards - the smaller hotels will deal only in cash. they dont even bother to swipe a card

:rolleyes:

SimonMac
2nd August 2012, 11:08
Stayed in quite a few hotels over the last few weeks, and I noticed three very interesting things.

well, they are interesting to me. Thats what I mean. I am not implying that everyone will find them interesting

3. Cards - the smaller hotels will deal only in cash. they dont even bother to swipe a card

One thing I have seen is that small places WIFi is standard, but big chains you pay an stupid about for it, best is £3 for 24 hours, worse is £15 for 24 hours!

EternalOptimist
2nd August 2012, 11:12
One thing I have seen is that small places WIFi is standard, but big chains you pay an stupid about for it, best is £3 for 24 hours, worse is £15 for 24 hours!

its been free in every single place I have stayed

NotAllThere
2nd August 2012, 11:15
I've only noticed free wifi is increasing. If I stay anywhere that charges for wifi, I always mention it in the feedback, but generally I avoid those places. Some largecos have a policy that they'll only book staff into hotels with free wifi. The more that go that route, the more prevelant it will become.

Robinho
2nd August 2012, 12:52
Not all of us were born in the 19th century

EternalOptimist
2nd August 2012, 12:56

you make a factually accurate and undisputable point, whilst leaving the aftertaste of a sour and runny dog-turd

BA to the Stars
2nd August 2012, 13:00

:confused:

Robinho
2nd August 2012, 13:03
:confused:

The 19th century is 1800-1899

You were born in the 20th century.

MarillionFan
2nd August 2012, 13:05

In the US,

1) Wifi comes at $14.95/$19.95 even though it's free in the lobby
2) No coffee or tea, plus $5/$7 for a bottle of water
3) No idea what you're talking about. It's all card, they probably even want a tip for using it.

Robbing bastards.

northernladuk
2nd August 2012, 13:09
Hmm, I certainly haven't noticed the wireless or lack of kettles. I thought in room refreshments was part of the star system and not mandatory do make make up part of the score towards rating? And where wireless is pretty standard the quality and cost varies wildly. Paying silly prices for one bar is just not in this day and age.

EternalOptimist
2nd August 2012, 13:12
Hmm, I certainly haven't noticed the wireless or the kettles. I thought in room refreshments was part of the star system and not mandatory make up part of the score towards rating? And where wireless is pretty standard the quality and cost varies wildly. Paying silly prices for one bar is just not in this day and age.

Aye, this was in Yurp, not the UK or the US

Sysman
2nd August 2012, 13:17

It was pretty bad in Switzerland half a dozen years ago. The places served by Swisscom cost 20 quid for 24 hours (and the meter started running at your first login). I swiftly found a privately owned hotel where it was 2 quid a day.

Sysman
2nd August 2012, 13:28
Aye, this was in Yurp, not the UK or the US

I don't think I've ever seen a kettle in a hotel room outside the UK unless it was an apartment style room.

On the cards/cash front I had difficulties in the 90s after some prolonged bench time. B&Bs didn't want cards, but wouldn't take a cheque without a cash card (i.e no business account cheques). My hole in the wall weekly limit was absurdly low so I ended up opening up an account in a local branch.

Oh, clientco was on a green field site, so I couldn't get to a physical bank except for Friday afternoons.

BA to the Stars
2nd August 2012, 14:05
The 19th century is 1800-1899

You were born in the 20th century.

Wow a genius - but what has it got to do with hotels. Can you expand on the comment you made earlier?

Scoobos
2nd August 2012, 14:11
I don't think I've ever seen a kettle in a hotel room outside the UK unless it was an apartment style room.

<snip>

Oh, clientco was on a green field site, so I couldn't get to a physical bank except for Friday afternoons.

Sounds horrid! Kudos.

FiveTimes
2nd August 2012, 14:13

Tea/Coffee is a must in the rooms i/we stop in.
Never been at a place that only deals in cash.
Wifi as others have said is free in public places but costs in the room. No sure why :wink

kingcook
2nd August 2012, 14:21
Free WiFi at Travelodge is poo. I pay for it, £60 for 3 months worth.

Robinho
2nd August 2012, 14:24
Wow a genius - but what has it got to do with hotels. Can you expand on the comment you made earlier?

I am implying that the OP is out of touch with modern times because he is so old (being born between the years of 1800-1899).

DodgyAgent
2nd August 2012, 14:25
Dont forget Channel 27 :tongue

BA to the Stars
2nd August 2012, 14:37
I am implying that the OP is out of touch with modern times because he is so old (being born between the years of 1800-1899).

Thank you for clarifying.