• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ooh dilemma!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooh dilemma!

Contract is ending at the end of July, less than 50/50 chance of renewal (local government cutting 'waste' by ditching the people that do the work - ie contractors, the permies do sod all).

In September I have a couple of weeks sunning myself in Espana booked. So I'm thinking, not much point signing up for a three month contract only to say to the new client that after four weeks in post that I'm off on holiday for a fortnight.

The 'only' other option? Take August off!! I'm liking this idea very much!
    Last edited by ladymuck; 8 June 2006, 10:01.

Paris is really quite nice in August, most of the Parisians are on holiday.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I like Threadeds idea/point.

Why not see if there is a course to update your skills during August!
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Attention, LM!! I took the summer off last year after a seven year contract came to an end. . Started looking for work in September, couldn't find any and was on the bench until Jan this year. My advice is to take any gig you can.
        Marriage broke up as well during this time. ( or - depending on my mood).
        We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Right......

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

So there !
          I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

Ooops sorry - wrong thread !
            I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              Why not see if there is a course to update your skills during August!
              I am thinking of doing that actually. The job's been so dull that I'm sure my IQ is down in the mildly retarded zone now.

Originally posted by Fleetwood
              Attention, LM!! I took the summer off last year after a seven year contract came to an end. Started looking for work in September, couldn't find any and was on the bench until Jan this year. My advice is to take any gig you can.
              I see your point, I took a year off to do a college course not so long ago and picked up my current contract before I'd even finished. So I'm reasonably confident I'll get something but with the market being fickle at the best of times, I shall plan for the worst!

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
                Attention, LM!! I took the summer off last year after a seven year contract came to an end. . Started looking for work in September, couldn't find any and was on the bench until Jan this year. My advice is to take any gig you can.
                A similar thing happened to me last year, got married in May and quit 5 year contract to take an extended honeymoon. Started looking again in September and it was very hard finding a new job. Be careful out there, with the markets going south its best to be cautious. Damn near ran out of money!

Still married though

Comment

Thwarted!

Not taking August off now. Have been offered an extension but to do a different job (fortunately, couldn't have stood much more of what I'm doing!). Could have said no but I'm a greedy git. I shall now lament the lost month off that I never had.

Comment

Ker-ching!!!

Well done, LM.
                    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Working...
                    X