• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HELP!!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!!!!!

I am just about too embark on contracting for the first time.
    Why do people tend to shun away from the Accountancy route and go the Umbrella route?
    Are they better?? I just had one company call me and state they would take 15% of my weekly wages for their service which equates to over £150!
    Anyone recommend a good umbrella company I was going to give Gary Barlow a call xx

15 - who's sockie is this then? very poor!

Comment

Well I had a good training session tonight.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Limited Company tends to be better

Originally posted by BendyKendy View Post

I am just about too embark on contracting for the first time.
        Why do people tend to shun away from the Accountancy route and go the Umbrella route?
        Are they better?? I just had one company call me and state they would take 15% of my weekly wages for their service which equates to over £150!
        Anyone recommend a good umbrella company I was going to give Gary Barlow a call xx
        Definitely check out the accountancy route and using your own Limited Company. Depending on your circumstances often the take home pay is much higher because you can earn dividends from your company that are effectively taxed at 0% (below £42,475). Plus you can pay yourself a salary at a level where you don't pay PAYE or NI either.

Ltd company accountancy services nowadays are cheaper because of all the online facilities that you get. A good contractor accountant will be able to give you an accurate comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew at Boox View Post
          Definitely check out the accountancy route and using your own Limited Company. Depending on your circumstances often the take home pay is much higher because you can earn dividends from your company that are effectively taxed at 0% (below £42,475). Plus you can pay yourself a salary at a level where you don't pay PAYE or NI either.

Ltd company accountancy services nowadays are cheaper because of all the online facilities that you get. A good contractor accountant will be able to give you an accurate comparison.
          Perhaps it would have been prudent to mention that these wonderful returns can only be gained if the contractor is outside IR35?
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
            Perhaps it would have been prudent to mention that these wonderful returns can only be gained if the contractor is outside IR35?
            Indeed Lisa - thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

Anytime
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew at Boox View Post
                Depending on your circumstances often the take home pay is much higher because you can earn dividends from your company that are effectively taxed at 0% (below £42,475).
                True, but of course to get the money to pay the dividends it has already been subject to 20% corporation tax.

Outside IR35 the real saving comes from lack of NI on the dividend route.

Comment

Check the limited scenario out and look at different umbrella companies. They don't all charge such huge fees. SJD has got a payroll option and I think it costs about 85 pounds per month.

Choosing a limited might depend on how much your contract is or how long you want to freelance. A limited might not be the most efficient solution if your contract value is less than 25k per year becuase of the added accountancy fees.

Comment

Having just come out of an Umbrella company and into my Ltd, I was pretty shocked when looking back and realising that I was only taking home about 65% of my invoices.
                    I think I retained more when I was a permie (although of course the rate was lower).
                    Now I'll just be on dividends for the rest of this tax year, then next year a small salary & dividends, and even considering CT will be taking home a lot more.

Comment

Working...
                    X