• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British ships banned from docking in Buenos Aires

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British ships banned from docking in Buenos Aires

" The legislature of Buenos Aires province voted to prohibit vessels sailing under the British flag from “mooring, loading or carrying out logistical operations” in any of its ports.

The bill was brought forward by Patricia Cubría, a deputy belonging to President Cristina Kirchner’s Front for Victory coalition.

It was nicknamed ‘Gaucho Rivero’ after Antonio Rivero, nicknamed the ‘Gaucho’, an Argentine cowboy who led an uprising in the Falkland Islands against the British in 1833.

“He fought so that the Argentine flag could fly in the Falklands,” Ms Cubría said.

The law is designed to hinder British ships involved in oil exploration in waters belonging to the islands and will be seen as the latest in a series of provocations in the run up to the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War. "

Source: British ships banned from docking in Buenos Aires - Telegraph

Introduce "war tax" on bankers to build 2 new aircraft carrier strike groups - HMS Barclays, HMS RBS...

Old news.

There is a tester working on some of my stuff that worked on cruise ships before he started his IT career. The ships that he worked on stopped at Port Stanley.

I couldn't understand why, on a long cruise that has a choice between stopping in Buenos Aries or Port Stanley, the cruise ship would stop at Port Stanley.

He told me that the old Poms that do the cruise would prefer to visit the Falkland Islands.

Comment

The fact it mentions "the run up to the 30th anniversary" might have led you to realise its old news!
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        The fact it mentions "the run up to the 30th anniversary" might have led you to realise its old news!
        Old news that by-passed me when it was new news, so thanks ATW, it's new news to me
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Perfect timing. Our troops can seamlessly move from the war in Afghanistan over to Argentina for the next fight.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I thought it was just vessels with the Falkland's flag.

Rather pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              Old news.

There is a tester working on some of my stuff that worked on cruise ships before he started his IT career. The ships that he worked on stopped at Port Stanley.

I couldn't understand why, on a long cruise that has a choice between stopping in Buenos Aries or Port Stanley, the cruise ship would stop at Port Stanley.

He told me that the old Poms that do the cruise would prefer to visit the Falkland Islands.
              Not old news, it's new news.

Falklands ships had previously been banned not British ships. Not they've banned British ships as well. How long before thats expanded up the coast in the other countries friendly with Argentina.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Perfect timing. Our troops can seamlessly move from the war in Afghanistan over to Argentina for the next fight.
                once they have finished covering g4's ass.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Not old news, it's new news.

Falklands ships had previously been banned not British ships. Not they've banned British ships as well. How long before thats expanded up the coast in the other countries friendly with Argentina.
                  Matey hasn't been in the cruising business for a few years now, but when he was it definite that the ship couldn't visit both the Falkland Islands and Argentina, it had to pick one or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    Matey hasn't been in the cruising business for a few years now, but when he was it definite that the ship couldn't visit both the Falkland Islands and Argentina, it had to pick one or the other.
                    "
                    Read the article. It mentions P&O cruises. But this is a blanket ban.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X