• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why does private education produce so many medal winners?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does private education produce so many medal winners?

It's because fatcher sold off the playing fields innit.

Discus
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Those who have attended public school are the elite and have better genes. Don't know how Dodgy slipped through though.

Seriously though, yes they have better facilities, sport is heavily encouraged to the extent that non-sporty types are shunned, excellence and competitiveness are encouraged rather than played down. Simples
    Last edited by sasguru; 6 August 2012, 07:56.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I suppose the threat of buggery every night encourages one to run fast.

Comment

They can afford better facilities and can pay for better staff.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          They can afford better facilities and can pay for better staff.
          This. I went to public school and sport was a large part of the curriculum and culture. So where the kids at Pikey High were having the odd game of soccer and rounders, we were geared up for Rugby, Cricket, all the Track 'n Field events and we even had a pool and played water polo. The school also did regular cricket and rugby tours to SA and other far flung places.

Comment

Because we had porridge for breakfast, shepherd's pie for lunch and lots of fresh fruit and veg while the state school kids were getting fat on coco pops, burgers and chips.

And some other reasons that others have named.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Maybe the parents encourage them more?

Maybe the system produces more psychopaths?

Maybe sports included in Olympics favour those with access to élite facilities.

Charlie Brooker's take on it - I like the dressge comment:

Charlie Brooker: The Olympics

I have no idea why some things qualify as Olympic sports and others don't, though there's an obvious and heavy class bias in favour of things you can imagine royals doing in a tapestry, such as archery or dressage. Falconry would surely be included if Ken Loach hadn't depicted a commoner doing it in the film Kes. You need your own castle grounds to practise half these sports. No wonder a disproportionate number of our victors thus far seem notably posh, apart from Bradley Wiggins, the first member of Oasis to attend a London comprehensive school and win four gold medals.
              Not to do traditional blueblood sports down, but surely becoming a world-class Battlefield 3 multiplayer competitor involves as much skill and dedication as teaching a horse to mince like a 1970s sitcom homosexual in the anachronistic "dressage". And Battlefield 3 has a far lower financial bar-to-entry, as does darts. Or hide-and-seek. Crazy golf is a huge missed opportunity too. Imagine an Olympic-scale crazy golf course designed by the nation's weirdest art students. You'd watch the tulip out of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Indeed; perhaps the private schools just do well on the back of the parents' success and attitude. After all, most kids are at least 6 before they arrive at private school and so their parents probably have a greater influence in the end.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                  This. I went to public school and sport was a large part of the curriculum and culture. So where the kids at Pikey High were having the odd game of soccer and rounders, we were geared up for Rugby, Cricket, all the Track 'n Field events and we even had a pool and played water polo. The school also did regular cricket and rugby tours to SA and other far flung places.
                  This also had the downside that kids who weren't sporty had a hard time of it. If you weren't sporty or very gifted academically then you were fecked.

I was a runner, mainly 1500 and Cross Country and because I was on the team, my weekends were owned by the team. I'd spend at least one full weekend day training or competing, I didn't have a choice in that. Hated it at the time but thats another reason, they push you more.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

Maybe the system produces more psychopaths?

Maybe sports included in Olympics favour those with access to élite facilities.

Charlie Brooker's take on it - I like the dressge comment:

Charlie Brooker: The Olympics
                    Nil point. We public schoolers are just better than you commoners. HTH.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X