• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wind power. Not a mistake but a blunder

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind power. Not a mistake but a blunder

Another report out about the effect of wind power on electricity bills

more than a mistake, it's a blunder

'The necessary investment for this Wind scenario would amount to about £124 billion. The same electricity demand could be met from 21.5 GW of combined cycle gas plants with a capital cost of £13 billion'

the current scenario will cost 10 times more in capital costs

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Another report out about the effect of wind power on electricity bills

more than a mistake, it's a blunder

'The necessary investment for this Wind scenario would amount to about £124 billion. The same electricity demand could be met from 21.5 GW of combined cycle gas plants with a capital cost of £13 billion'

the current scenario will cost 10 times more in capital costs

But what about on going costs? I assume the capital will be higher but with no gas to buy long term it would be a different story.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Makes one realise just how utterly stupid and deluded the previous Government must have been to pile into wind power when they could have had the same advice then from this guy or anyone similar with a clue.

And it isn't as if the details are long and intricate, full of equations and graphs etc. It's just 25 clearly written text pages.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        But what about on going costs? I assume the capital will be higher but with no gas to buy long term it would be a different story.
        of course, the report covers that.
        but bear in mind, these stations will have to be built anyway, and kept ticking over, to provide back up for the wind turbines.

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

of course, the report covers that.
          but bear in mind, these stations will have to be built anyway, and kept ticking over, to provide back up for the wind turbines.

I thought the idea was to find a lasting alternative, not a cheaper alternative though?

(PS Couldn't get one way or the other about global warming, its happening/its not happening whether or not I switch a lightblub or turn the tv off standby, but as long as energy is expensive I'll keep my shares in Centrica )

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I thought the idea was to find a lasting alternative, not a cheaper alternative though?

(PS Couldn't get one way or the other about global warming, its happening/its not happening whether or not I switch a lightblub or turn the tv off standby, but as long as energy is expensive I'll keep my shares in Centrica )
            you are right. this is about cheap energy, not CAGW.
            The fear of CO2 was just the method they used to force the debate at that time.
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

you are right. this is about cheap energy, not CAGW.
              The fear of CO2 was just the method they used to force the debate at that time.
              Oil and Gas will always be cheaper as the infrastructure is already there, if/when the supply dwindles prices would go up and the cost of renewable will seem less prohibitive, its gonna be a case of take the hit now or later.

Personally I still think Nuclear is the way forward, as for not being safe it too an earth quake and a tsunami to knock Fukushima off line, not really an every day occurance.

Comment

Personally I still think Nuclear is the way forward
                +1. I like wind power as I don't like being dependant on other countries for energy. But I am concerned what happens if the wind does not blow.

Comment

Oil and Gas will always be cheaper as the infrastructure is already there, if/when the supply dwindles prices would go up and the cost of renewable will seem less prohibitive, its gonna be a case of take the hit now or later.

Personally I still think Nuclear is the way forward, as for not being safe it too an earth quake and a tsunami to knock Fukushima off line, not really an every day occurance.
                  There are new supplies coming on stream all the time. gas prices in the USA are falling fast, and I would expect to see the same here soon ish. The tar sands and frakking have changed the numbers quite dramatically.

Agreed, it will only put off the inevitable, maybe by a few generations, but a few generations ago, the main energy crisis was where to shovel all the horse sh1te in London from all the coal carts.

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Nuclear is still expensive if you factor in decomissioning costs.

Modern coal plants are a lot cleaner than old ones and still the best choice IMO.

Comment

Working...
                    X