• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Origins of Irish Coffee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Origins of Irish Coffee

I don't know about you but I love a nice Irish coffee, particularly after a good meal whilst engaging in some badinage with my fellow diners.

Friday night happened to be such an occasion when I was in the Tipsy Toad with some of my chums.

I don't normally order Irish coffees in pubs unless I have a cast iron guarantee from the waitress that it is NOT going to be adorned with a couple of clumsy squirts of chantilly from an aerosol. I like double cream expertly floated on the back of a teaspoon and, after assurances were given, that's what I ordered and that's what I got.

Now, one of my companions imparted a quite fascinating snippet of trivia to the proceedings as I slurped away trying to get a greater volume of coffee into my mouth than cream with each mouthful such that there would be cream all the way to the bottom.

Apparently Irish coffee dates back to the early days of passenger transatlantic aviation. Flights would stop at Shannon airport en route for the eastern seaboard of the USA and passengers would be offered coffee containing whisky in order to steel themselves for the chilly journey ahead; the aircraft had no heating and even when they did the systems were pretty ineffectual.

One thing about Irish coffee though, as much as I like it it doesn't half repeat on me. Hurp...
    Last edited by Malcolm Buggeridge; 6 August 2012, 21:47.

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
    I don't know about you but I love a nice Irish coffee, particularly after a good meal whilst engaging in some badinage with my fellow diners.

Friday night happened to be such an occasion when I was in the Tipsy Toad with some of my chums.

I don't normally order Irish coffees in pubs unless I have a cast iron guarantee from the waitress that it is NOT going to be adorned with a couple of clumsy squirts of chantilly from an aerosol. I like double cream expertly floated on the back of a teaspoon and, after assurances were given, that's what I ordered and that's what I got.

Now, one of my companions imparted a quite fascinating snippet of trivia to the proceedings as I slurped away trying to get a greater volume of coffee into my mouth than cream with each mouthful such that there would be cream all the way to the bottom.

Apparently Irish coffee dates back to the early days of passenger transatlantic aviation. Flights would stop at Shannon airport en route for the eastern seaboard of the USA and passengers would be offered coffee containing whisky in order to steel themselves for the chilly journey ahead; the aircraft had no heating and even when they did the systems were pretty ineffectual.

One thing about Irish coffee though, as much as I like it it doesn't half repeat on me. Hurp...
    If you are such a connoisseur you will know its whiskEy not whisky, I know making that mistake on the Shankill will get you knee capped
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      If you are such a connoisseur you will know its whiskEy not whisky, I know making that mistake on the Shankill will get you knee capped
      My favourite licqueur coffee is made with Cointreau. Not sure what the name for that is, anyone care to elucidate?

Comment

Don't tell him that.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
          My favourite licqueur coffee is made with Cointreau. Not sure what the name for that is, anyone care to elucidate?
          liqueur

If you are going to pretend you are erudite, at least check the spelling before hand
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

liqueur

If you are going to pretend you are erudite, at least check the spelling before hand
            Oh the ironing!

Comment

liqueur

A mere typo old boy, I'm fully aware of how to spell the word.

Comment

Working...
              X