• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paid to talk?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paid to talk?

An ex-client has come back after we last did work 18 months ago asking me if I could drop them a line to take part in some meetings on how best to do some work on their helpdesk system.

They've said that initially it's just a few meetings over the phone (about 4 hours) which they are willing to pay for. Then an additional 3 days of analysis/documentation & they reckon 10 days development. They'd like me to do the development, but understand that I may be busy elsewhere & in that case they'd get someone to follow the design. They want to pay hourly & they're happy to schedule meetings after normal work hours.

Should I bother?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    An ex-client has come back after we last did work 18 months ago asking me if I could drop them a line to take part in some meetings on how best to do some work on their helpdesk system.

They've said that initially it's just a few meetings over the phone (about 4 hours) which they are willing to pay for. Then an additional 3 days of analysis/documentation & they reckon 10 days development. They'd like me to do the development, but understand that I may be busy elsewhere & in that case they'd get someone to follow the design. They want to pay hourly & they're happy to schedule meetings after normal work hours.

Should I bother?
    For £1, no.
    For 100k, yes.

Work out what it's worth to you and get the best price above that.

Comment

I take it you are back from the states now ?
      If so then think of a number and add a bit. As long as it doesn't impact on your social life too much then just do it.

Comment

Tell them you'll only take it on a fixed price basis. That way you can normally factor in a few extra grand for the hassle.

Doing it by the hour is a bit more constrained profit wise, and probably a bit of an administration burden.

Comment

Should I bother?
          Think of a number, double it and quote that. I guarantee they won't try and haggle you down.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Should I bother?
            You're only fooling yourself with your achievements.

Spod - In "Shamelessly stolen from Old Greg" mode!

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
              I take it you are back from the states now ?
              If so then think of a number and add a bit. As long as it doesn't impact on your social life too much then just do it.
              I've been back for weeks.

I'm not in the US, I'm in London, but I'm back and forth to the US. Off again in two weeks for two weeks.
              One more trip and I'm back to a Silver BA Card.

Not sure. Last time this client was a bit of a nightmare (making meetings then cancelling at the last minute). Useful to keep in, but they'd bastardized their system so much it's not an easy discussion. Extra money is always good though. Have to sleep on it.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Should I bother?
                I take on work from all directions and have a solid client base. Should this even be a question for a proper contractor?

My motto, if you're buying I'm selling.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  My motto, if you're buying I'm selling.
                  Is that a motto or a sexual orientation?
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Is that a motto or a sexual orientation?
                    If you're buying, I'm selling.

What's hard?
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X