• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sir Bernard Lovell Dies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir Bernard Lovell Dies

Breaking: Jodrell Bank founder Sir Bernard Lovell dies, aged 98 | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Oh no

I was having a lovelly day until I heard that!

Comment

Sir Bernard Lovaell went down hill after Jodrell Bank lost its tripple A rating.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

According to his biog, he was convinced he was going to be investigated for wasting public money building Jodrell Bank.

Then the Ruskies put Sputnik into orbit & Jodrell Bank was more or less the only thing that could track it.

And said Reds weren't too happy from the sound of this:

Sir Bernard Lovell claims Russians tried to kill him with radiation - Telegraph

And he was seriously into recycling.

As in the bearings for said Jodrell Bank dish, which were nicked off redundant battleships*.

*For the youth amongst the congregation, battleships were large ships with big feck off guns of which GB had many at one time long long ago when GB actually counted for something.
          Last edited by zeitghost; 18 May 2017, 07:33.

Comment

Damn, I loved his 2001: A Space Odyssey film. We'll not see his like again.

That and he found time to command Apollo 13. What a guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
              Damn, I loved his 2001: A Space Odyssey film. We'll not see his like again.

That and he found time to command Apollo 13. What a guy.
              Jim Lovell is still alive
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                Jim Lovell is still alive
                Sorry, Clippy: it's a bit of a crap running joke of mine in RIP threads to 'mistake' who the deceased is.

It comes from when Ernest Borgnine died a while back, and several people mistakenly attributed Lionel Stander's "it was moider" character from Hart-to-Hart to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
                  Sorry, Clippy: it's a bit of a crap running joke of mine in RIP threads to 'mistake' who the deceased is.

It comes from when Ernest Borgnine died a while back, and several people mistakenly attributed Lionel Stander's "it was moider" character from Hart-to-Hart to him.
                  I did get it

Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    I did get it

See, that's what I get for being nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X