• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why you can miss things when driving

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why you can miss things when driving

Interesting test here

Now imagine that yellow dot was a small child ..
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Interesting test here

Its a crap test (no offence to you, you are loverly ) but how many times when driving do you fixate on just one spot, with checking your phone, holding a coffee, changing the station on the radio and applying make up (for the ladies and good looking boys only) your eyes are all over the place rather than straight ahead of you!

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

"Motion Induced Blindness"

I must admit.... over the years a certain motion has affected my eyesight somewhat.
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
        Interesting test here

Outside Camberwell Bus Depot yesterday I saw a motorbike run into a pedestrian about 50 feet in front of me. Pedestrian crossing the road and was roughly in the middle. Absolutely no traffic within 10 feet. I suspect he is going to be worse off than her as he swerved about a second before and glanced her.

Maybe all motor vehicles should have a man with a red flag in front of them?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Outside Camberwell Bus Depot yesterday I saw a motorbike run into a pedestrian about 50 feet in front of me. Pedestrian crossing the road and was roughly in the middle. Absolutely no traffic within 10 feet. I suspect he is going to be worse off than her as he swerved about a second before and glanced her.

Maybe all motor vehicles should have a man with a red flag in front of them?
          I did that, spilt me Tennents Super all down me leg...

Comment

If the yellow dot was a small child you'd be fine. It's when the green dot is a small child that you have a problem.

Comment

That test I think shows why you miss motorbikes. You look at the flow of traffic and I suspect if the bike is not in your line of vision you might not see it at all.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

The test is bollocks, an optical illusion that exploits the fact that "blue" and "yellow" are "opposites in the colour spectrum. The same happens with "Black" and "White", "Green" and "Red".

Originally posted by Wiki
                Afterimages
                When one stares at a single color (red for example) for a sustained period of time (roughly thirty seconds to a minute), then looks at a white surface, an afterimage of the complementary color (in this case cyan) will appear. This is one of several aftereffects studied in the psychology of visual perception which are generally ascribed to fatigue in specific parts of the visual system.[1]
                In the case above the photoreceptors for red light in the retina are fatigued, lessening their ability to send the information to the brain. When white light is viewed, the red portions of light incident upon the eye are not transmitted as efficiently as the other wavelengths (or colors), and the result is the illusion of viewing the complementary color since the image is now biased by loss of the color, in this case red. As the receptors are given time to rest, the illusion vanishes. In the case of looking at white light, red light is still incident upon the eye (as well as blue and green), however since the receptors for other light colors are also being fatigued, the eye will reach an equilibrium.
                Hth.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  That test I think shows why you miss motorbikes. You look at the flow of traffic and I suspect if the bike is not in your line of vision you might not see it at all.
                  More importantly pushbikes!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    More importantly pushbikes!
                    The dents from a pushbike are nowhere near as bad.
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                    X