• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

French Cycling performance director thinks the Brits have engines in the wheels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French Cycling performance director thinks the Brits have engines in the wheels

Funny really, the Union Cycliste Internationale spends 4 years changing the rules to stop one country running off with all the medals and when it all happens again we have the French team boss suggesting there are inertia mechanisms inside the British wheels.

Unfortunately she doesn't seem to understand physics very well, thinking you can use an inertia mechanism to generate speed without first doing the work yourself (i.e. break the law of conservation of energy). Maybe that's the difference; Chris Boardman and Dave Brailsford understand physics and know how to use it.

« Ce ne sont pas celles fournies par Mavic. Il n’y a aucune vérification sur les roues. Moi j’aimerais bien voir une roue anglaise. Mais une vraie roue anglaise. Celles qu’ils cachent dans les housses, pas celles sur les vélos avec les sticks Mavic. Je voudrais savoir comment elles sont faites. [...]

Qu’il y ait un engrenage ou un mécanisme, je ne sais pas si c’est faisable. Est ce qu’à l’intérieur, il n’y a pas un mécanisme qui permet de donner de l’inertie pour prendre ou garder de la vitesse ? Peut-être que je fantasme... »
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Sour grapes from a Frenchman surely not lol
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Funny really, the Union Cycliste Internationale spends 4 years changing the rules to stop one country running off with all the medals and when it all happens again we have the French team boss suggesting there are inertia mechanisms inside the British wheels.

Unfortunately she doesn't seem to understand physics very well, thinking you can use an inertia mechanism to generate speed without first doing the work yourself (i.e. break the law of conservation of energy). Maybe that's the difference; Chris Boardman and Dave Brailsford understand physics and know how to use it.
      Originally posted by Silly French Bint
      « Ce ne sont pas celles fournies par Mavic. Il n’y a aucune vérification sur les roues. Moi j’aimerais bien voir une roue anglaise. Mais une vraie roue anglaise. Celles qu’ils cachent dans les housses, pas celles sur les vélos avec les sticks Mavic. Je voudrais savoir comment elles sont faites. [...]

Qu’il y ait un engrenage ou un mécanisme, je ne sais pas si c’est faisable. Est ce qu’à l’intérieur, il n’y a pas un mécanisme qui permet de donner de l’inertie pour prendre ou garder de la vitesse ? Peut-être que je fantasme... »
      "Peut-être" indeed!

Oi Mitch, would you?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
        "Peut-être" indeed!

Oi Mitch, would you?
        You first. I'll be with Vicky P while you're at it.

But really, peut-être! Silly cow. How would they get the inertia into the mechanism without expending energy that they'd be better off using to just pedal faster? She seems to believe in perpetual motion machines. Utterly dim and I hope for the sake of British cycling that nobody gives her an education.

She was whining about the British working with Mclaren and how that gives them an advantage. Well madame, I believe there are a couple of French motor racing teams like Renault and Peugeot; are you too dumb to phone them?
        Last edited by Mich the Tester; 7 August 2012, 13:49.

Comment

You first. I'll be with Vicky P while you're at it.
          Not my type, however if Monica is waiting in the wings...

Comment

I know the frames are different but AFAIK Team GB use the same, French made mavic wheels as everyone else.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              I know the frames are different but AFAIK Team GB use the same, French made mavic wheels as everyone else.
              Indeed and from that came the misquote "..are they using magic wheels ..."?
              Stupid whiny bint.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Indeed and from that came the misquote "..are they using magic wheels ..."?
                Stupid whiny bint.
                Ah, but chaps, the British keep their wheels in bags until shortly before the race, which leads Madame to believe they're hiding something. It sounds to me more like they're bluffing to put the opponents off.

Comment

Ah, but chaps, the British keep their wheels in bags until shortly before the race, which leads Madame to believe they're hiding something. It sounds to me more like they're bluffing to put the opponents off.
                  Or keeping their tyres at a certain temp? I think there's a very strong appliance of science to the details of cycling within the British team which accounts for some of their success. But it's true of all sports - it's attention to the small details that gives yoe the edge.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Or keeping their tyres at a certain temp? I think there's a very strong appliance of science to the details of cycling within the British team which accounts for some of their success. But it's true of all sports - it's attention to the small details that gives yoe the edge.
                    Quite possible too.

Comment

Working...
                    X