• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A billion bottles of wine going to waste...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A billion bottles of wine going to waste...

"The unquenchable desire of Britons for New World wines has forced Brussels to order nearly a billion bottles of French and Italian wine to be turned into fuel and disinfectant."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...215975,00.html

"Nearly a quarter of all Spanish wine now ends up being used for industrial purposes."

Is this true, are we all losing our taste for Blue Nun and Piat d'Or?
    Almost entirely 'new world' wines.
    20.00%
    Mostly new world, with an odd dash of the old.
    25.00%
    Mainly 'old world' but moving towards the new.
    15.00%
    Whatever has the nicest label.
    5.00%
    Only Cristal, baby.
    5.00%
    Depends on the occasion, sometimes a Lafite, sometimes Grand Barossa, sometimes...
    20.00%
    My name's Jacques Chirac, go figure!
    5.00%
    Wine is for wusses, it's whisky and wild, wild women for me.
    5.00%

My definition of a really good wine: more than 11.5% and less than £5.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Well, for less than a fiver I'm not sure it's that easy to always get a good wine, but certainly these days with some new world reds edging above the 14% mark (fortified wine territory?), I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem with the alcohol content.

Comment

I'm not a wine fan. All too often red wine tastes of little more than raisins (I wonder why?), has horrible cloying tannin, and a nasty woody taste that reminds me of woodwork classes. I think there's far too much pretentiousness in the wine world. I do like an occasional wine such as a Bordeaux, a Muscadet or a Gewurztraminer.

I prefer Belgian beer and English real ales. I love good scrumpy, but it's not easy to find good stuff, made with the proper apples, and nice and dry. It'll clean the limescale from your bowels.

Comment

Wine is expensive, makes you horrible when you drink it and doesn't actually taste that nice. It's kind of like Caviar for the average joe - people drink it because everyone else does or it's fashionable. It's another modern tragedy.

I prefer a nice cold glass of traditional Pepsi with ice in it. Either that or a nice glass of absynthe on ice (correctly prepared of course!)
          Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

If you have an old man that collected Chateau Lafite in his prime and thought to share it with his son, then you know what I voted!

Can't beat it...
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I have a bottle of 1961 Chateau Canon la Gaffeliere St Emilion sitting right beside me awaiting my eager attentions at the weekend.

Which is nice.

Comment

I'm all yours LB (in a non-sexual, but vin-wise way, of course...)!
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
                  I love good scrumpy, but it's not easy to find good stuff, made with the proper apples, and nice and dry.
                  This chap just down the road from me is pretty good.

http://www.richscider.co.uk/

But the website is buggered at the mo.

If you don't drink the whole gallon in a couple of days it's good for cleaning the silverware.....

Wilkins of Mudgley is another local producer who makes decent cider. Try it if you see it.
                  Last edited by ASB; 9 June 2006, 00:23.

Comment

You'll never believe this. I was driving one of my many Lambos the other day when the bespoke satellite navigation system I designed (it was one of my many international companies that launched the satellite, by the way - NASA have approached me but I told them I only deal with larger customers) briefly malfunctioned. Luckily I soon recognised that I was passing by one of the vinyards I own, so I stopped and had a chat with some of my staff. I didn't like the attitude of the head viticulturalist so I fired him and later had him killed by the King of Denmark. Anyway, I tried some of my wine which was very nice.

Threaded.

Comment

Working...
                    X