• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 - End of project meal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 - End of project meal

At the end of a big project, ClientCo are planning a celebratory meal/night out. This is to include permanent staff of ClientCo, myself (ltd co contractor), and employees of at least two 3rd party companies who were also heavily involved in the project. Now my common sense tells me that this is not an employee perk, this is ClientCo entertaining a number of suppliers. But my paranoia tells me to steer clear for fear of muddying the IR35 waters. Trouble is, I'm the PM so it would look odd for me to swerve the "thanks everyone" party at the end of an 18 month project.

I'm not asking you guys to make the decision for me, but any thoughts?

How are HMRC going to find out? If you are that worried go in a disguise.

Comment

Just go, it's got nothing to do with the contract/project or the ClientCo....have a beer keep your head down and invoice them for the expenses lol

Can you invoice a ClientCo for an incurred hangover?

GE

Comment

You are having an evening out with clients. You could argue that you are being entertained and if you buy a drink then you are entertaining clients.

As BP has said, how will HMRC find out.

I think you are worrying to much.

Comment

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
          At the end of a big project, ClientCo are planning a celebratory meal/night out. This is to include permanent staff of ClientCo, myself (ltd co contractor), and employees of at least two 3rd party companies who were also heavily involved in the project. Now my common sense tells me that this is not an employee perk, this is ClientCo entertaining a number of suppliers. But my paranoia tells me to steer clear for fear of muddying the IR35 waters. Trouble is, I'm the PM so it would look odd for me to swerve the "thanks everyone" party at the end of an 18 month project.

if you are a contractor you are not affected, if you are a disguised employee you are!! going for a few drinks after work with people will not change things.

Comment

Oooooh. Sounds dodgy to me! Nah only joking. I doubt very much that even if HMRC discovered that you had attended that they would see this as going against the IR35 ruling. As moggy says "if you are a contractor you are not affected, if you are a disguised employee then you are"

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone (even BP)

Comment

Such thoughts have never entered my mind in the context of !R35. Had they done so I probably would have stayed in bed.

Does this mean that in 18 months you have never been for a drink or a meal with your colleagues?

However, if you are really worried you could (as suggested here) entertain the others or just pay your way.

Comment

FFS! Really!?
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    FFS! Really!?
                    Yeah thanks for that

Comment

Working...
                    X