• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tablet or lightweight laptop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tablet or lightweight laptop?

Going to be travelling rather a lot and wondered what others use.

Looking for something for surfing and general admin (odd spreadsheet,docs, plans), so not something heavy duty.

Current laptop is a tad on the heavy side, great for working from home but not lugging about the place. Not sure whether to go with a tablet (android preferably) and bluetooth keyboard or laptop. Been looking at the Nexus 7, not sure about laptops, possible Acer or Asus.

Recommendations for anything mac related will be studiously ignored.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Going to be travelling rather a lot and wondered what others use.

Looking for something for surfing and general admin (odd spreadsheet,docs, plans), so not something heavy duty.

Current laptop is a tad on the heavy side, great for working from home but not lugging about the place. Not sure whether to go with a tablet (android preferably) and bluetooth keyboard or laptop. Been looking at the Nexus 7, not sure about laptops, possible Acer or Asus.

Recommendations for anything mac related will be studiously ignored.
    I think a Nexus would be a bit to small for even the most basic productivity, I am looking at a 9.7" Tablet and using CloudOn to link into my Office Files in Dropbox, anything smaller would be a bit fiddly unless you have a separate keyboard. Also 7" is a bit too small for watching films etc on the go
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

These are nice.

Best of both worlds.

Comment

I bought an ultrabook recently. Bloody hell its light as feather with 6 GB RAM and an SSD in it.

I think tablets are great but I prefer a keyboard than the touch screen for anything other than browsing the web.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Forget the toys - get a small powerful laptop. In the end you want to do everything in a small package.
          I have the Thinkpad x1 (i7, 8Gig RAM) which cost 1200 a few months ago. Can't fault it - rock solid milspec construction if you're travelling a lot, probably the best keyboard on a laptop.
          Small and light - battery life is good.
          I use my 27 inch iMac as a screen for it at home.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Actually, if cost is no issue, WSGS - the new ThinkPad X-series are astonishingly good quality.

Comment

I'd wait to see what the full-fat Windows Surface tablets are like. From what I've seen so far, they look good.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                Actually, if cost is no issue, WSGS - the new ThinkPad X-series are astonishingly good quality.
                Indeed. I know the OP has stated she doesn't want something too heavy duty, but my thinking is why not have a general workhorse that does everything. The X1 is a desktop replacement at home (with screen) and a tough, small and light laptop for travelling
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Forget the toys - get a small powerful laptop. In the end you want to do everything in a small package.
                  I have the Thinkpad x1 (i7, 8Gig RAM) which cost 1200 a few months ago. Can't fault it - rock solid milspec construction if you're travelling a lot, probably the best keyboard on a laptop.
                  Small and light - battery life is good.
                  I use my 27 inch iMac as a screen for it at home.
                  But completely over kill for what the lady said she would be using it for!
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    I bought an ultrabook recently. Bloody hell its light as feather with 6 GB RAM and an SSD in it.

I think tablets are great but I prefer a keyboard than the touch screen for anything other than browsing the web.
                    What did you buy? In the market for something myself at the moment with the same requirements as the OP. I need to use Photoshop so that rules out a tablet - was thinking of an ultrabook of some description.

Comment

Working...
                    X