• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

online business start up tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

online business start up tips

hey guys

Im thinking of starting my own business ( online business), im not talking about contracting or IT consultancy its going to be online services similar to ebay etc.
    I never done this before, I think some of you might have so ideas about where to start
    anyone wants to share their experience? and put me on the right direction?
    maybe some of you know of a startup course that can get me going ? i ideally practical training that
    can take me thru stages and increase my awareness.
    im particularly interested in protecting my idea and trade mark..
    I'm thinking of starting a unique business that doesn't exist as far as i know, but IM not 100% sure about this,
    how can i find out whether anyone else is offering same service as what im intending to provide?
    sorry i cant be more specific about the service and idea.

Im new to this so I wlecome any other random advice relating to choosing correct hosting provider, law related, marketing, whatever you can think of ....

thanks

What is it that you are planning to sell ? Is it being sold by anybody online ?
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Have you got the coding skills to do the online bit?
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Have you got the coding skills to do the online bit?
        i got oracle db skills and apex, might go for php /mysql if turns out that oracle hosting is significantly more expensive... need to brush my web development skills,but im a senior dba so that shoudnt be an issue, done asp.net in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          What is it that you are planning to sell ? Is it being sold by anybody online ?

i wont sell product i be providing service and matching people to people same way that ebay matches buyer to seller, its matching kind of thing but diffrent to ebay and online dating, sorry cant share too much at this stage.

Comment

Can I recommend not bothering? You sound too wet, clueless and pathetic so why waste your (and our) time?

Just saying like ™
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by calacik View Post
              i wont sell product i be providing service and matching people to people same way that ebay matches buyer to seller, its matching kind of thing but diffrent to ebay and online dating, sorry cant share too much at this stage.
              Why don't you get a contract in the type of company you want to start-up. You will see first hand what is required and if you can really see yourself doing it.

Getting paid to learn, win win.

HTH
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

You need to think about advertising. It doesn't matter how fantastic your new idea is if no-one knows about it they won't use it.

You need to find out how much it costs to get your adverts and popups on sites that will draw people in.

In terms of protecting an idea, you can't really. If you're selling vacations for example you can't patent it or sue people who copy you.

Basically you have to get out there and give it a go.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 August 2012, 05:30.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Can I recommend not bothering? You sound too wet, clueless and pathetic so why waste your (and our) time?

Just saying like ™
                  WHS

I'm thinking of starting a multi billion pound business as well, can't really say more than that, anyone any advice on how I can do it?
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    WHS

I'm thinking of starting a multi billion pound business as well, can't really say more than that, anyone any advice on how I can do it?
                    First thing you will need is some money.... tough luck aye..

Comment

Working...
                    X