• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bike Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Recommendations

For the resident cycling experts...

I need a new bike. Been riding a hybrid for the last few years but thinking of getting a road bike as I'm fed up of being overtaken on the morning commute & I want to go quicker. There are some fitness issues here too but wtf.
    I also do quite a bit of riding for fun at weekends doing about 50 - 100 miles on a Saturday.

Quite tempted on one of these:

I'll be doing quite a bit of mileage on bumpy country lanes & apparently this style frame is perfect for soaking up the bumps, according to the salesman. My only reservation is with the lifespan of the graphite frame. I've heard that cracks can develop after a relatively short period of time.

Anyone got any recommendations? Don't want to spend more than £1.5k. TIA.

Try and get one with wheels if you can.

Comment

BBC Sport - Cycling - Chris Hoy's track bike guide
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

If you can find a bike shop that will do a generic bike fit first, then they can recommend a frame based upon what would fit, rather than what looks good.

Also worth having a look at planet-x bikes. They can't be beaten on price and I've had a number of their bikes, worth signing up for their news letter as you find they have big reductions and you can find yourself buying a full price bike only to see it being sold £500 cheaper the next week.

In the mid-range market there are a huge number of bikes, have a look at what components they are selling, a lot will have a 50/34 chain ring when you'll want a 53/39 if you're semi-serious.

You'll want a SRAM force or Shimano ultegra but you may find some cheaper 105 or Sopra stuff on the lower spec'd bikes.

Also worth looking to see if anyone local is upgrading their bike, lots of people buy a £1500 bike only to get a bit serious and then spend that on the frame alone, so see if a local cycling club has a for sale section on their website.
        Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
          Try and get one with wheels if you can.
          Perfectly round ones are the best.
          Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

How about a unicycle?

Seriously though, I went recumbent some 10 years back and I haven't looked back.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
              How about a unicycle?

Seriously though, I went recumbent some 10 years back and I haven't looked back.
              Why don't you just ask admin to reset the Gricer password if you can't remember it.

Comment

Get a Honda Fireblade mate. Much easier to get up these hills.
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

>>I'm fed up of being overtaken on the morning commute

your bike is only as fast as your legs, the time saving/speed is quite minimal over distance really. I can overtake these on a fold-up.

Go for a BMX then man up to a TT and do some proper racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                    >>I'm fed up of being overtaken on the morning commute

your bike is only as fast as your legs, the time saving/speed is quite minimal over distance really. I can overtake these on a fold-up.

Go for a BMX then man up to a TT and do some proper racing.
                    +1. Depending on commute distance and the road conditions. Personally I need a racer for the first 6 miles and mountain bike for the last 6.

And when are YOU going to man up? And don't quote that iron woman stuff at me....

Comment

Working...
                    X