PDA

View Full Version : Car Battery....

stek
9th August 2012, 13:56
Follow on from my 'Laying up a Car' thread due to not being allowed to drive for six months....

Just whipped the fooker off, it's the screw type terminal connector, not the normal battery post type, so the croc clips on the trickle charger are not suitable, nothing 'comes off' the connectors at car end, so I'm buggered. I think there are battery post terminals to screw in for charging, anyone familiar?

Hunting for 5/16th bolts now!

gingerjedi
9th August 2012, 14:04
Surely every man has a biscuit tin with a selection of nuts, bolts, screws and curtain hooks?

FiveTimes
9th August 2012, 14:06
Surely every man has a biscuit tin with a selection of nuts, bolts, screws and curtain hooks?

and wall plugs

Support Monkey
9th August 2012, 14:06
Follow on from my 'Laying up a Car' thread due to not being allowed to drive for six months....

Just whipped the fooker off, it's the screw type terminal connector, not the normal battery post type, so the croc clips on the trickle charger are not suitable, nothing 'comes off' the connectors at car end, so I'm buggered. I think there are battery post terminals to screw in for charging, anyone familiar?

you answered your own question, just put a couple of bolts in and to be honest they don't need to be the right size, just find something that will screw into the first couple of threads (don't try and wind it right in) as long as you get metal to metal connection your optimizer\battery charger will tell you if its charging

TestMangler
9th August 2012, 14:07
Buy two big croc clips from an Auto-shop, connect them to the battery, and connect your trickle charger to them instead :-)

MyUserName
9th August 2012, 14:10
When I read the title I assumed that you had been arrested for beating up someone's motor.

stek
9th August 2012, 14:10
you answered your own question, just put a couple of bolts in and to be honest they don't need to be the right size, just find something that will screw into the first couple of threads (don't try and wind it right in) as long as you get metal to metal connection your optimizer\battery charger will tell you if its charging

yeah, got some - they seem be made of some horrible alloy, may not conduct, trying....

I have had boxes of shiite that 'might come in' for jobs like this - the current mrs stek made me throw them all out....

Now we had tidyness but have to buy something everytime we need something.

I'm turning into my dad, aren't I?

TestMangler
9th August 2012, 14:12
yeah, got some - they seem be made of some horrible alloy, may not conduct, trying....

I have had boxes of shiite that 'might come in' for jobs like this - the current mrs stek made me throw them all out....

Do you have a stick that you keep specifically to stir paint ?

stek
9th August 2012, 14:15

Not yet, but I'm interested.

I turn lights off, knock a few degrees off the heating thermo everytime I walk past, and worst of all, I don't understand Twitter....

BolshieBastard
9th August 2012, 14:16

Eh?

All batteries have a sticky uppy terminal of sorts. The croc clip should still be able to grab these.

Support Monkey
9th August 2012, 14:17

you must have a man draw in the kitchen with screws and bolts and screwdrivers and tape, IT'S THE LAW

stek
9th August 2012, 14:20
Eh?

All batteries have a sticky uppy terminal of sorts. The croc clip should still be able to grab these.

Pic coming!

FiveTimes
9th August 2012, 14:20

I use one of my long screw drivers and wipe it down afterwards.

I have yet to get a brush properly clean after using gloss, so I just bin them and start again

Support Monkey
9th August 2012, 14:22
I use one of my long screw drivers and wipe it down afterwards.

I have yet to get a brush properly clean after using gloss, so I just bin them and start again

you should not use wood or a screwdriver you should have a piece of Copper pipe then blow down it to put air into the paint whilst stiring

moggy
9th August 2012, 16:16
you should not use wood or a screwdriver you should have a piece of Copper pipe then blow down it to put air into the paint whilst stiring

Dad?

stek
9th August 2012, 16:37
Dad?

Son! At last! I've missed you....Sort of...

stek
9th August 2012, 16:40
Pic coming!

Pic not coming unless I can upload from my iDevice and not from flickster or summert....

stek
10th August 2012, 12:27
Here's a similar battery to mine. I've had to swallow my pride and order some side post terminals, from USA, after wasting a day getting nowhere.

If she's thrown the OOn3 Lynton and Barnstaple 2-6-2T kit out I have had hidden in the shed for 25 years she's in trouble....

http://www.incarnav.co.uk/Numax/7570

Support Monkey
10th August 2012, 12:41
Never seen one like that before, what cars it for

stek
10th August 2012, 13:00
Never seen one like that before, what cars it for

Cadillac CTS - and I know what you're gonna say but I've had loads of Yank Tanks dating back to 60's and 70's and none have had this type of battery, just normal posts on top....

stek
10th August 2012, 15:06
WSMS.

Most odd.

I wonder when the 42V batteries will start appearing.

They've been promised for ages.

I must admit - the screw type connector feels more solid than the clamp type - with the grease etc, but I agree, never had one before, must be a US thing - loads of help on US fora and bits on Ebay US, nowt in UK....

BS1397
10th August 2012, 18:16

No big deal, whatever shape car battery I always wrap a rubber band a few times over the terminal so it can hold tight whatever mains wire I use to be clipped by the crocodile.

stek
10th August 2012, 19:07
No big deal, whatever shape car battery I always wrap a rubber band a few times over the terminal so it can hold tight whatever mains wire I use to be clipped by the crocodile.

Cant be done cos if u look at pic, croc clips have to grip a hole - I've tried gripping the metal outside the hole - no way....

There is no terminal...