• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking on a junior

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking on a junior

I'm toying with taking on a young padawan or offshoring some work. It's all data work, could be done at home (ideally though if they were onshore I'd want them in the office with me some of the time.)

The reasoning is, I'm presently on a contract which is more consultancy based & effectively will run and run as long as key milestones keep getting delivered. There is an increasing amount of grunt data work occurring, master data, DNB data pulls etc. Effectively I should recommend that clientco should bring in an one/two interns or offshore some of it which I would manage.

I'm thinking that I should provide that resource as part of our consultancy agreement. I can then start to take on some other contract/consultancy work & then start to pass the grunt stuff down the chain.

I've got lots of experience hiring wibbly wobbly old ladies in shops, what type of person should I look for(grad/someone out of school/offshore) and what shoulld I look to pay?

Anyone done this?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

£20k might be the right amount for someone fresh out of College in the big smoke. Wouldn't go for Uni leavers, just look for someone who can learn quickly and you can train pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      I'm toying with taking on a young padawan or offshoring some work. It's all data work, could be done at home (ideally though if they were onshore I'd want them in the office with me some of the time.)

The reasoning is, I'm presently on a contract which is more consultancy based & effectively will run and run as long as key milestones keep getting delivered. There is an increasing amount of grunt data work occurring, master data, DNB data pulls etc. Effectively I should recommend that clientco should bring in an one/two interns or offshore some of it which I would manage.

I'm thinking that I should provide that resource as part of our consultancy agreement. I can then start to take on some other contract/consultancy work & then start to pass the grunt stuff down the chain.

I've got lots of experience hiring wibbly wobbly old ladies in shops, what type of person should I look for(grad/someone out of school/offshore) and what shoulld I look to pay?

Anyone done this?
      Suity might be up for it?

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
        Suity might be up for it?

Overqualified. Besides, architects do not do grunt work.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          £20k might be the right amount for someone fresh out of College in the big smoke. Wouldn't go for Uni leavers, just look for someone who can learn quickly and you can train pretty quick.
          Won't be in the City. I would have thought £7/£8 per hour would be right wouldn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            Overqualified. Besides, architects do not do grunt work.
            Even Suity has a sockie now.

Comment

Won't be in the City. I would have thought £7/£8 per hour would be right wouldn't you?
              Yeah, seems about right depending on the price of where you live.

Comment

your over paying them at that rate, 16-19 year olds its £95 a week or £2.80 an hour or if over 19 under 21 its £4.98 an hour, over 21 £6.09, but if your feeling generous?

Comment

Well that worked better than expected. On the phone with clientco and mentioned I might hire someone to do the grunt work as it was a bad use of my time. Quick as a flash the client asked how much it would cost him. About £15 p/h I said.

Fine was the answer, I'll have a discussion with legal/HR, agree a period / deliverables and add that to your contract agreement.

Just got to find someone decent for £5 per hour.

Comment

I think the term is grooming and current sentencing guild lines are 7-10 years
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X