• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Analogue Snow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Analogue Snow

There's an article in this week's New Scientist about the fact that pretty soon , with the switch over to digital, that "snow" you get on an untuned TV will be a thing of the past. Until someone deliberately recreates the effect.

Which, funnily enough, they have.

Go to youtube and select any video. Before it's fully loaded, switch off your internet connection.

I don't know how long it's been around, but I kind of like it. Links nicely with the most recent xkcd
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

I get the snow effect every time I turn my TV on as it defaults to displaying the analogue-in source. Only when I turn the digital STB on does the TV detect an alternative signal (on the SCART) and switch to that. So until I get shot of the telly then the snow remains

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      There's an article in this week's New Scientist about the fact that pretty soon , with the switch over to digital, that "snow" you get on an untuned TV will be a thing of the past. Until someone deliberately recreates the effect.

Which, funnily enough, they have.

Go to youtube and select any video. Before it's fully loaded, switch off your internet connection.

I don't know how long it's been around, but I kind of like it. Links nicely with the most recent xkcd
      Very good for generating "random" numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Ernie's been using white noise for random numbers since the 50s.
        Wise?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Wise?
          Premium bonds.
          Ernie is the computer wot picks the winning bonds.

I thought the white noise on analogue televisions came from background radiation from the big bang?

Comment

Not sure how but I discovered the other day that turning on an ancient analogue video sender I found in the attic completely blocks out the TV, even though we have gone digital. Great for when the missus is annoying me with constant watching of sport on TV.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              . Until someone deliberately recreates the effect.
              The main issue with that is that it takes more digital bandwidth to transmit the snow effect than it does to send a normal picture
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                If that's one of those horrid Band IV/Band V "video senders", it's probably tuned to one of the digital multiplexes.

The one I had (it's gone now, honest officer*) had a hideous spectrum that include 350MHz & 700MHz "carriers".

*There's a £5k fine simply for possession of one of these abortions.
                A £5K fine for possessing a police officer?

Comment

Working...
                X