• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Were England right to drop Kevin Pieterson?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were England right to drop Kevin Pieterson?

England have dropped KP for the deciding last test match at Lords.

Despite being under contract with England, KP has been trying pick and choose when he plays for them so that he can go and play in a lucrative Indian 20/20 tournament, and has allegedly been sending texts to England's South African opponents criticising his captain, coach and team-mates.

However, sport always has its controversial characters, KP is generally accepted as England's best batsman, and without him England have less chance of winning the last test at Lords and remaining number one team in the world.

Are England cutting off their nose to spite their face?
    Yes - he's a selfish bugger who needs putting in his place
    72.73%
    No - he's England's best batsman and must always play
    9.09%
    Hire Andyw to make diplomatic efforts to bring KP back into the fold
    18.18%
    Last edited by Doggy Styles; 13 August 2012, 09:28.

Yes i think they were. At first i did think let him leave and play his cricket in the ipl and fair play to him, even though he made out it wasn't for money - we all knew it was. now it seems that he wants to come back to the one day and 20/20 team, as he knows it helps his profile, but yet still wants to be released for the entire ipl season. I guess this has made the others realise he wants all the cake and to eat it all himself.

Great player, but his ego is writing checks his body cannot cash...

Comment

No.

He's been a bit of a prat. Maybe the drop is just for one game, especially as he has now rescinded his limited overs retirement.

If he's banned for more for than one game it will be a travesty. Especially as we're going to be second in the rankings.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I can see the argument. But overall it has ****ed us for the final test.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
          I can see the argument. But overall it has ****ed us for the final test.
          Good point.

Principle or pragmatism.

I suppose selecting him might have pissed off other players, who are less than delighted by his behaviour.

Comment

100% correct (IMVHO)

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
              100% correct (IMVHO)

+1. This is cricket.

Comment

They had no choice but to drop him as he didn't come clean about sending the texts. Tough but right decision IMHO. We won't beat SA at Lords with or without him and so remaining #1 team is immaterial.

Comment

He's been left out of the 20/20 world cup squad and 50-over series with the saffers.

Which isn't surprising.

If someone who you've worked with closely for years undermined and insulted you behind your back to your competitors, would you accept an apology by email from their agent?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    He's been left out of the 20/20 world cup squad and 50-over series with the saffers.

Which isn't surprising.

If someone who you've worked with closely for years undermined and insulted you behind your back to your competitors, would you accept an apology by email from their agent?
                    indeed, and to be fair he had already pulled out of the 50 overs and 20/20 as he wanted to play in the ipl.. until he realised that he needs England just as much for his profile and endorsements.

Comment

Working...
                    X