• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ukuleles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ukuleles

Mrs. D000hg is interested in getting one to do music with at school (reception children) but neither of us know anything about them. I play guitar so I imagine I could easily pick it up and teach her a few chords, but what should be getting? Only want something cheap and cheerful but someone told me/her there were different types, like how you can get tenor recorders and so on.

Any idiots' guide style tips would be nice - at our low-end do we just buy any old thing or are there still choices to make? And is it as easy to transfer guitar strumming to ukulele as I imagine?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Mrs. D000hg is interested in getting one to do music with at school (reception children) but neither of us know anything about them. I play guitar so I imagine I could easily pick it up and teach her a few chords, but what should be getting? Only want something cheap and cheerful but someone told me/her there were different types, like how you can get tenor recorders and so on.

Any idiots' guide style tips would be nice - at our low-end do we just buy any old thing or are there still choices to make? And is it as easy to transfer guitar strumming to ukulele as I imagine?
    Watch some George Formby (seriously), what a right hand, I've never had a bash on a Uke but I'd imagine a strong right hand technique to be vital to get something out of it otherwise it sounds a bit weedy....

Comment

Cojak would be the one to ask. I've seen her play open mic a few times.
      SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Don't know about different types of ukes, but someone in the pub showed me a couple of chord shapes on one once and they are the same shapes as a lot of open guitar chords, although not for the same chords (if you see what i mean) !! Like, E and A shapes were used, but they weren't E and A

I'm sure you'll get chord charts off the net easily enough though.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Netraider View Post
          Cojak would be the one to ask. I've seen her play open mic a few times.
          WNRS ( but I have only seen her on you tube).

Send Cojak a PM.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            Don't know about different types of ukes, but someone in the pub showed me a couple of chord shapes on one once and they are the same shapes as a lot of open guitar chords, although not for the same chords (if you see what i mean) !! Like, E and A shapes were used, but they weren't E and A
            That's no great surprise, just means the strings are tuned to the same intervals as a guitar but at a different pitch. Similar to using a capo on a guitar, same chord shapes, different pitch chords.

Comment

The strings on a uke are tuned to the same as the bottom four on a standard E tuned guitar i.e. GDAE. You can play a naff sounding version of ukelele based songs on the bottom four of a guitar.

Don't know much about different types, though don't confuse a ukelele with a banjolele, with the former looking like a small guitar whilst the latter being a banjo drum with a ukelele neck, much like GF used most of the time. Ukes can be had from £20 or so for a crumby one whilst banjoleles are much more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
                The strings on a uke are tuned to the same as the bottom four on a standard E tuned guitar i.e. GDAE. You can play a naff sounding version of ukelele based songs on the bottom four of a guitar.

Don't know much about different types, though don't confuse a ukelele with a banjolele, with the former looking like a small guitar whilst the latter being a banjo drum with a ukelele neck, much like GF used most of the time. Ukes can be had from £20 or so for a crumby one whilst banjoleles are much more expensive.
                You've just described anything ever played on a uke.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  You've just described anything ever played on a uke.
                  Don't worry Cojak will be along later to take her revenge.

While you wait here is MF playing his favourite song

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Don't worry Cojak will be along later to take her revenge.
                    Do you think she knows the difference between a Uke and an Onion ?

Comment

Working...
                    X