• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Manager of the Year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Manager of the Year

A bank employee who was three times named business manager of the year yesterday admitted embezzling £21m.

Donald Mackenzie spent five years at the Royal Bank of Scotland operating, in effect, a bank within a bank as he opened an intricate web of false accounts with names similar to existing customers, drew down massive unauthorised loans and defeated complex security measures.

As a senior member of staff at the bank's flagship branch in Edinburgh, Mackenzie, 45, spent almost 30 years working his way up to a position of trust.
    Such was the complexity of his fraud that the bank thought he was generating more business and gave him bonuses of £35,000. He was found out in 2004 after a new security system was introduced.

Mackenzie of Belgrave Gardens, Edinburgh, also pleaded guilty, at the High Court in Edinburgh, to stealing £37,170 between 15 May 2000 and 14 April 2004. He has been remanded in custody to await sentencing.

Business Manager of the Year?

Or was he Business Unit Manager of the Year? BUM for short.
    HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Saw this story on the news.
      It seems that he wasn't taking the money for himself, most of it was loaned to businesses that couldn't raise capital by any other means.
      The bank has recovered most of it due to his meticulous book keeping and they have killed a number of companies he had made loans to in the process.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

When they grabbed him he is supposed to have had about £17,000 in his pockets.

So I don't think it is as Robin Hood as The Lone Gunman says.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
          Saw this story on the news.
          It seems that he wasn't taking the money for himself, most of it was loaned to businesses that couldn't raise capital by any other means.
          The bank has recovered most of it due to his meticulous book keeping and they have killed a number of companies he had made loans to in the process.
          Interest free? If so, a latter day Robin Hood in our midst.

£21m though - he'll be lucky to get less than 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded

Providing I dont overdo it , 17k will just about see me through the weekend so it might not be as suspicious as it apprears.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded

Didn't mean to imply he was taking none of it, just that most of it went to other causes.
              They have recovered a massive amount which they could not have done had he "spent" it.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                Providing I dont overdo it , 17k will just about see me through the weekend so it might not be as suspicious as it apprears.

Good one Alf. I have been to the ATM twice today already and have nothing to show for it save a full belly and a clean haircut.
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

When they found out he'd nicked £21m of customers' money they made him Employee of the Year.

When they worked out he wasn't going to give it to the bank like the rest of them, that's when they sacked him.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
                    When they found out he'd nicked £21m of customers' money they made him Employee of the Year.

When they worked out he wasn't going to give it to the bank like the rest of them, that's when they sacked him.
                    Harsh, but fair.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X