• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying your fair share of tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying your fair share of tax

Google may face grilling by MPs over 'immoral' tax avoidance ? The Register

Google could be hauled in front of MPs after the 2011 results for its UK subsidiary showed it paid just £6m in tax on a turnover of £395m. It effectively paid a 1.5 per cent duty when in fact the top-end UK corporation tax rate is 24 per cent.

John Mann, an MP and member of the Treasury Select Committee, suggested the advertising giant should explain itself for its "entirely improper and immoral" behaviour.
    So when it's individuals, specifically innocent hard-working contractors, who are being attacked the government is in the wrong for construing legal avoidance as immoral. Do the same views hold when it's a big cold corporate multinational, or is it 'only fair' that they get the same treatment as we do?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

While it's only fair that everyone should be treated fairly, big corporations are a law unto themselves and have massive resources at hand to cut down on what they pay. They no doubt have an army of advisers and accountants, I'm not sure how many people employ in the UK but the government needs to be pretty careful as companies can relocate elsewhere if needed as other companies have done.
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

They employ about 1200 people in the UK.
      Is there ever a point at which it might be good to stand up to them or do we just have to bend over all the time?
      Just asking, like. My instant reaction to any git face who threatens to take their bat home if we make them play properly is flip off then.

Comment

Corporate tax is a fairly pointless tax anyway. I think they should do away with it myself.

Comment

To be honest unless they start making sense I won't be paying any attention of this, the 1.5% is based on the turnover?! Wait a minute I only pay CT on my profits
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Peoplesoft, I think the time has long passed when governments had the power to do anything

That said, I think governments (the current one included) constantly undersell London and the UK , by playing the "they will leave if we force legislation" card.

London is prestigious and companies WANT to be able to say they have offices there, yet governments (probably funded by the buggas) protect their interests , stating that they'd leave, as if its even that easy.

Comment

Interestingly Parliamentary Select Committees actually have little or no powers. They cannot force witnesses to attend and they cannot force witnesses to answer questions. They are nothing more than a bunch of moody people sat round a semi-circular table:

Murdochs could not have been forced to give select committee evidence, report says | Joshua Rozenberg | Law | guardian.co.uk

Google should simply tell John Mann and his Treasury 'Select Committee' to jog on.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

I always thought that Google break even everywhere except Ireland. Learnt something new.

Comment

Working...
                X