• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Very Sad Train News

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Sad Train News

Virgin might be losing the West Coast Mainline franchise this week to First Group
    Coffee's for closers

Why is this sad?
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Cheaper to fly than take the train unless a local journey. Couldn't give a flying toss about trains.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        Why is this sad?
        Cause virgin have been doing an alright job at it and First have promised to cut costs. As they can't cut the rail services, they will have to cut staff and the customer service level instead
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Cheaper to fly than take the train unless a local journey. Couldn't give a flying toss about trains.
          Maybe for you but for us Manc's its the only real option when travelling to central London as there aren't any flights to London City any more.
          Last edited by Spacecadet; 13 August 2012, 20:45. Reason: changed "and" to "any" so it makes sense
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Maybe for you but for us Manc's its the only real option when travelling to central London as there aren't any flights to London City and more.
            Ahh, see your point.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Yes I agree it is a right fvcker!! It means the end to the traveller club also. Bang goes the 12 months of free tickets.

Virgin are far from perfect. First class it sparsely populated even at peak times while standard is crowded. Their pricing model, as with all train companies is cr@p and penalises you heavily if situations change at short notice. The walk on fares are extorionate. I once travelled to London paying £183 for the single and as the train pulled out of Manchester there were a total of 3 in the first class coach. I asked the ticket bloke why it was so empty and he said wait till we get closer to london...it fills up there. Yes it did as 11 people got off at Euston. Hardly bursting point!!
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                Yes I agree it is a right fvcker!! It means the end to the traveller club also. Bang goes the 12 months of free tickets.

Virgin are far from perfect. First class it sparsely populated even at peak times while standard is crowded. Their pricing model, as with all train companies is cr@p and penalises you heavily if situations change at short notice. The walk on fares are extorionate. I once travelled to London paying £183 for the single and as the train pulled out of Manchester there were a total of 3 in the first class coach. I asked the ticket bloke why it was so empty and he said wait till we get closer to london...it fills up there. Yes it did as 11 people got off at Euston. Hardly bursting point!!
                First are just as bad for the walk on fares. They also (On the TPE route at least) have a habit of declassifying first class at the drop of a hat, not policing first class properly and the trains generally can be a bit grubby. They were also tulip at time keeping, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to network rail and how much is due to firsts crapness.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

+1

Quite like the 7.07 from Stockport, on it most weeks. Good service, first have a lot to live up to.
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                    +1

Quite like the 7.07 from Stockport, on it most weeks. Good service, first have a lot to live up to.
                    Some years ago I went for an interview with First. The project involved their accounting system for which visits were required to stations. I said "I presume I will be given a rail pass for that purpose." They replied, "Oh no, you need to use your own car because the trains are too unreliable."
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X