PDA

View Full Version : dodgy car dealer

calacik
14th August 2012, 00:28
i have ccj against a car dealer ltd, he basically got £400 of my deposit and not returning it,he ignored the court.
since then i paid some money to debt recovery on (on one occasion they wrote to him on 2nd occasion they went to his old business address but a difrent company trading there now )

so far it has taken over 15 month and spent £250 on court and debt recovery fees etc,

debt recovery guys have told me that he has closed down his business recently
bue he is director of 2 more car companies at diffrent location, they happy to charge me more fees go to his home address this time
but they unsure whether they can recover anymoney as he could claim thedebt is owned by old company and not him etc...

has any of you dealt with debtors in the past? any advice?

eek
14th August 2012, 06:09
i have ccj against a car dealer ltd, he basically got £400 of my deposit and not returning it,he ignored the court.
since then i paid some money to debt recovery on (on one occasion they wrote to him on 2nd occasion they went to his old business address but a difrent company trading there now )

so far it has taken over 15 month and spent £250 on court and debt recovery fees etc,

bue he is director of 2 more car companies at diffrent location, they happy to charge me more fees go to his home address this time
but they unsure whether they can recover anymoney as he could claim thedebt is owned by old company and not him etc...

For a £400 claim you've paid £250 in fees. I would give up mate as you're not getting anywhere.

ChrisPackit
14th August 2012, 06:50
The solution is simple. Write the debt off. Go and buy a £10 can of Nitromors, and pay his car lot a visit out of office hours.

HTH

louie
14th August 2012, 07:05

You can't this kind of thing stand, go to his new place and ask to test drive the most expensive car, and wrap it round a tree.

SupremeSpod
14th August 2012, 07:20
You can't this kind of thing stand, go to his new place and ask to test drive the most expensive car, and wrap it round a tree.

***** yeah! Two wrongs do make a right! :facepalm:

To the OP, why did you change your mind about the car and want the return of your deposit?

Just asking like...

louie
14th August 2012, 07:32

To the OP, why did you change your mind about the car and want the return of your deposit?

Just asking like...

I have never meet someone who doesn't have a sense of humor, what's it like?

SupremeSpod
14th August 2012, 07:34
I have never meet someone who doesn't have a sense of humor, what's it like?

Russel, you're doing pretty well all by yourself.

Don't go changing.

insur
14th August 2012, 07:51
For a £400 claim you've paid £250 in fees. I would give up mate as you're not getting anywhere.

Car dealerships seldom return a deposit. I had a similar situation with a VW dealership; I kept the conversation amicable and eventually after three weeks they gave the deposit money back.

Considering the difficulty I had getting the money back from a reputable company such as VW, I doubt a local dealer will give your money back.

BoredBloke
14th August 2012, 08:49

Just asking like...

Why did you reject it.

From the dealers point of view, I suspect the deposit is there to stop time wasters while he takes a car off the market. I would never pay a deposit as a car is a car. If it gets sold so be it. Ford have made more than one focus, BMW have made more than one 3 series etc Plenty of others on the market

BolshieBastard
14th August 2012, 08:50

You have two options imo.

Continue to throw good money after bad or write the loss off.

Im not sure if you can go back to court and get the costs of trying to get the money off this guy but either way, you'll have to spend more money in an effort to get him to cough up. Couldnt you have got the baliffs in instead of this debt recovery people who seem almost as big a shysters as the dealer?

I wouldnt take matter into your own hands if I was you ie nitromoors, crashing cars etc. That'll just get you in lumber.

SupremeSpod
14th August 2012, 09:04
Why did you reject it.

From the dealers point of view, I suspect the deposit is there to stop time wasters while he takes a car off the market. I would never pay a deposit as a car is a car. If it gets sold so be it. Ford have made more than one focus, BMW have made more than one 3 series etc Plenty of others on the market

I didn't.

calacik
14th August 2012, 18:25
AA inspection report didnt look good, report clearly said dnt buy the car until all issues are fixed but he refused to fix, now i have ccj so that stage is all over, its all about forcing the refund now .

so now he is director of 2 more companies and he gets away with this ? simple as that? this system is unfair and sucks:/

strange world .

tractor
15th August 2012, 00:13
AA inspection report didnt look good, report clearly said dnt buy the car until all issues are fixed but he refused to fix, now i have ccj so that stage is all over, its all about forcing the refund now .

so now he is director of 2 more companies and he gets away with this ? simple as that? this system is unfair and sucks:/

strange world .

He operates a LIMITED company, limited means limited liability. The problem you have is a direct result of that. He is actually entitled to operate as many companies as he likes, as we all are. In law, you can assign the benefit of a debt but not the burden i.e the recovery people are on the right lines when they say they may not be able to transfer the debt - they actually won't be able to.

When you paid the deposit, was 'non-refundable' mentioned in the small print? It often is.

BoredBloke
15th August 2012, 07:03
I didn't.

I know I was following your point.

BoredBloke
15th August 2012, 07:05

strange world .

Probably preaching to the already converted here!!

In future get it inspected before paying the deposit. If they won't allow it then perhaps they are trying to hide something and best to walk away.

Safe Collections
16th August 2012, 09:54
You have two options imo.

Continue to throw good money after bad or write the loss off.

Those are the only two options.

Im not sure if you can go back to court and get the costs of trying to get the money off this guy but either way, you'll have to spend more money in an effort to get him to cough up.

You can go back to the court but it will cost more, some of which is theoretically recoverable, but only if the CCJ is paid (and it doesn't sound like it will be).

Couldnt you have got the baliffs in instead of this debt recovery people who seem almost as big a shysters as the dealer?

If the Debt Collector charged in advance for collection shyster is probably a fair assessment! But the problem with Bailiffs is they are civil servants, they get paid the same wage irrespective of how effective they are. Plus if they fail you just get another bill!

I wouldnt take matter into your own hands if I was you ie nitromoors, crashing cars etc. That'll just get you in lumber.

Agreed. The Police will see a withheld deposit as a civil matter, they wont see vandalism in the same light.

OP in all honestly the Director behind the company is probably well versed in how to dodge payment. Chances are the Ltd company you have a Judgment against will soon be struck off and even if it isn't we doubt it will hold any saleable assets.

Despite what you may have been told making a director personally liable for the debts of a limited company, whilst legally possible, is an extremely rare occurrence.

Platypus
16th August 2012, 10:09

strange world .

Oh grow up! Car dealers have to deal with whiners like you every day.

The fact that you're also out of pocket for the AA report cheers me up no end :laugh

bobspud
16th August 2012, 11:37
The solution is simple. Write the debt off. Go and buy a £10 can of Nitromors, and pay his car lot a visit out of office hours.

HTH

No better still find old cans of creosote that stuff seeps into the panels and never ever comes out you will write the whole forecourt off with a pain brush and some choice words written on the cars ... :)

Platypus
16th August 2012, 11:46
No better still find old cans of creosote that stuff seeps into the panels and never ever comes out you will write the whole forecourt off with a pain brush and some choice words written on the cars ... :)

He'll be insured, what's the point?