• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who'd be a game dev...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who'd be a game dev...

My client requires experienced programmers. Successful candidates will be involved in all aspects of the programming work. You will be involved in key game systems architecture design and implementation, as well as Systems requirements capture, analysis, design, implementation and testing. You will programme mainly using C++, and be involvement in all aspects of software development through the game development cycle, supporting lead programmer.

Essential skills:
    -Significant experience programming at least one of these consoles : X360/PS3/Wii/Wii-U
    -C++ programming expertise
    -Experience using Visual Studio .net or similar
    -Strong experience of game development practices
    -Highly competent using version control software, Perforce or similar
    -Experience of multi-platform game/engine development

Rate: £125 - 175 per day.
    Contract: 6 months;
    Location: Brighton (remote work from London office is possible).
    Sounds like fun apart from the rate. Even though game-dev pays less well than regular dev work, that's abyssal. That's LESS than a decent Indian chappie costs, so I doubt it's even an attempt to get a bob in.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Sounds like fun apart from the rate. Even though game-dev pays less well than regular dev work, that's abyssal. That's LESS than a decent Indian chappie costs, so I doubt it's even an attempt to get a bob in.
    I guess the working hours and pressure would be worse than normal dev roles as well. I bet the get a lot of interest as the role has kudos certain young programmers.

Comment

Maybe worse hours, maybe not. Depends a lot on the company. For a young guy that's an OK rate, true, but a young guy doesn't meet the requirements.

Comment

A game shop using a dated wheezy old thing like Perforce? That's a bit like a pizza delivery guy driving a horse and cart.

Surely any games company worth their salt would be using git these days.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

And I thought this was bad (posted this morning):

Mobile UI Developer - J2EE, J2ME, .Net, VC++, BREW
          Glasgow - £150 - £175.00 Per Day
          Contract

Mobile UI Developer required for a 6 month based in Glasgow, may suit local candidates due to rate available skills required are:

• J2EE - including JSF, JSP, JPA, Java EE, WebServices
          • J2ME - Including HTML, Javascript
          • .Net - including ADO.NET
          • VC++ - Including GUI Programming
          • BREW

Please forward your CV asap.
          You wont get someone with .net and J2EE, not for that rate.

Plus I see that a role I interviewed for back in July has now been re-advertised as a "permanent" role, but with exactly the same JD. Which means they didn't hire anybody. Which means they were wasting my time by getting me to come and see them.

Tyre kickers. Don't they realise that it's all the same people that monitor these roles all the time?, and if they get a name for crying wolf then nobody will take them seriously even if they do stopping messing about and decide to get real about their recruiting efforts? Reminds me of this (NSFW).

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            A game shop using a dated wheezy old thing like Perforce? That's a bit like a pizza delivery guy driving a horse and cart.

Surely any games company worth their salt would be using git these days.
            Maybe they're more interested in a tool that works, and getting work done, than jumping to the flavour-of-the-month tool. Non-distributed tools like SVN & Perforce are great and they work.

And anyway game-dev has never been about cutting-edge tech, not when you're working on consoles anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
              And I thought this was bad (posted this morning):

You wont get someone with .net and J2EE, not for that rate.

Plus I see that a role I interviewed for back in July has now been re-advertised as a "permanent" role, but with exactly the same JD. Which means they didn't hire anybody. Which means they were wasting my time by getting me to come and see them.

Tyre kickers. Don't they realise that it's all the same people that monitor these roles all the time?, and if they get a name for crying wolf then nobody will take them seriously even if they do stopping messing about and decide to get real about their recruiting efforts? Reminds me of this (NSFW).
              If a role disappears and then comes back on at a lower rate , or permie it means they had a lot of interest and can therefore offer less. They usually pull it for a few weeks then it comes back on at new lower rate.

Comment

I reckon games programming would be fun. It's not like the consequences are devastating when you screw up is it?

You can imaging the bug report...."Gandolf hangs when trying to enter the temple of doom".
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

This one caught my eye

My client requires 2 experienced programmers. Successful candidates will be involved in all aspects of the programming work. You will be involved in key climate modelling systems architecture design and implementation, as well as Planetary climate Systems requirements capture, analysis, design, implementation and testing. You will programme mainly using Excel and vb, and be involvement in all aspects of software development through the climate model development cycle, supporting lead programmer.

Essential skills:
                  -Significant experience predicting summer ice loss
                  -ability to produce a trend in excel
                  -Experience in saving poley bears or other public icons
                  -Strong experience of inventing/misunderstanding data
                  -Highly competent deleting emails and fending FOI requests
                  -Experience of multi-model feedback thingies

Rate: £125.50 - 175.85 per day.
                  Contract: 6 months or the office floods, whichever comes first;
                  Location: East Anglia (remote work from London office is possible).

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Maybe they're more interested in a tool that works, and getting work done, than jumping to the flavour-of-the-month tool. Non-distributed tools like SVN & Perforce are great and they work.

And anyway game-dev has never been about cutting-edge tech, not when you're working on consoles anyway...
                    Hmm, maybe you're right - I just tend to think of games developers as being pretty cutting edge with the software tools they use, including source control, and perforce being more the kind of thing used in an old-fashioned stuffed-shirt software house maintaining a bespoke accounting package or something.

(Maintaining branches in perforce, for example, is like trying to knit chain mail.)
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X