• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inflation busting rail fare hikes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inflation busting rail fare hikes

BBC News - Rail fares will rise by 6.2% in January

Well, they have to give a pay hike to all those employees, pay a lot more bonuses to the rail bosses etc etc. It is only fair that the passengers are asked to contribute to the bonus pot for the excellent service they get from the train companies.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

As a cyclist I say good! Up them to pay for free helmets and tyre levers!

Actually, I might be taking the train a couple of times this week. Could the fares stay the same until the weekend please?

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post

Well, they have to give a pay hike to all those employees, pay a lot more bonuses to the rail bosses etc etc. It is only fair that the passengers are asked to contribute to the bonus pot for the excellent monopoly they get from the train companies.
      FTFY
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post

Well, they have to give a pay hike to all those employees, pay a lot more bonuses to the rail bosses etc etc. It is only fair that the passengers are asked to contribute to the bonus pot for the excellent service they get from the train companies.
        I'm not so sure about the bonuses, I'd like to think that was the case , but:

BBC News - Network Rail chief executive to turn down bonus

Or maybe they'll claim those bonuses at the end of the year when its all died down.. time will tell.

Comment

Only fair, the motorist is already penalised at the pump whilst rail passengers are subsidised at a higher level than when the railways were in public hands.

It's not as if rail fares went up 30% overnight like they did at the pumps and I don't want any more public money flowing into private hands.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Personally, I think that they need to add some capacity to their trains, I often wonder about the synthetic situation we have with Peak fares and overcrowding .. Why not put an extra carriage on? Certainly in major cities anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
              Personally, I think that they need to add some capacity to their trains, I often wonder about the synthetic situation we have with Peak fares and overcrowding .. Why not put an extra carriage on? Certainly in major cities anyway.
              Longer trains need longer platforms and the current trains are already pretty long. Double decker trains would be better but that would mean massive changes to bridges and overhead stuff.

What they need to do is utilise the current trains better. Why have almost half the train given over to first and have that section running at about 50% full at peak times? Last friday when I left on the 17:20 out of London, there was me and a handful of people in the first class coach I was in. By the time it got to Manchester, I was the only person left in that coach!
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

What they need to do is change the draconian, corporate middle-management culture and allow working from home as the de facto.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  As a cyclist I say good! Up them to pay for free helmets and tyre levers!

Actually, I might be taking the train a couple of times this week. Could the fares stay the same until the weekend please?
                  One more reason to stay on the bike.

Getting to the office on public transport would cost me £15 a day, and thats with the discount for an Oyster Card. The bike is about to cost me £30for a new bottom bracket, whch is the first I've had to spend on it since I started commuting with it. Thats on a two year old bike that's done almost 1000 miles in the last 2 months. (30 miles a day, 4 days a week).
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Since Virgin lost the WCML and the end of the traveller tickets and British Midland was bought by BA, there are fewer ways of getting from Manchester to London on the cheap.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X