• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No more Arctic ice within ten years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more Arctic ice within ten years

Preliminary results from a European Space Agency satellite measuring the thickness of Arctic ice suggests it is melting faster than previously thought.

Seymour Laxon of the Centre for Polar Observation and Modelling said the thickness of the ice could now be measured to an accuracy of 10cm (3.5in).

He said there has been a "very strong decline" in the thickness of the ice, and if the current trend continues, the Arctic could be ice-free on a summer's day by the end of the decade.
    BBC News - Today - Arctic ice: Centre for Polar Observation and Modelling

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

ah I see that they've extended the deadline

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Arctic summers ice-free 'by 2013'

"Our projection of 2013 for the removal of ice in summer is not accounting for the last two minima, in 2005 and 2007," the researcher from the Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California, explained to the BBC.
    "So given that fact, you can argue that may be our projection of 2013 is already too conservative."
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

The Arctic Ice is not permanent. It comes and goes. I'm amazed they are still peddling these daft stories.

North Pole, 1958

North Pole, 1962

North Pole, 1986

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        The Arctic Ice is not permanent. It comes and goes. I'm amazed they are still peddling these daft stories.

North Pole, 1958

North Pole, 1962

North Pole, 1986

Now I would be worried if those pictures had been taken at the South Pole
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Arctic ICE PANIC sparked by half-baked sat data ? The Register
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            I hope you are right, I think though that the worry is that it will be permanent, permanently gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
              I hope you are right, I think though that the worry is that it will be permanent, permanently gone.
              True that would be a concern. But according to another post above they seem to be extrapolating from only two years' data.

So if ice this year is 10% down on last year, they seem to be predicting the same reduction in ice mass every year, and so in 10 years it will be gone. And then they are assuming it will never come back.

I'm not sure how scientific that is, but, on the face of it, it doesn't sound very logical.

Comment

Why would that be a worry? The area is inhospitable to life do to being too icey, so it becoming less icey has to be great news.

Comment

When they say it will disappear, which I think is hghly unlikely ( remember they told us the global temps were going to accelerate upwards and they haven't moved for 15 years), they mean it will disppear for a short period in Summer and then come back and fill the whole Arctic basin in the Winter. This prediction is in any case complete fantasy. Nothing will occur in the forseeable future we haven't seen in the past.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

I haven't heard that concern.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X