PDA

View Full Version : What do you believe?

Malcolm Buggeridge
14th August 2012, 13:38
I think we can all agree that a propensity for belief in the divine, the
supernatural, call it what you may is becoming increasingly frowned upon
in today's modern secular society.

I'm not particularly religious although I am a regular church goer and
am often to be seen in the lytchett gate hobnobbing it with the vicar
after he's deklivered a particularly thought provoking sermon.

I do, however concede, that I attend church more to maintain my social
standing in the village rather than to fulfil any spiritual obligations set out by Christian doctrine.

That said, I do believe in spririt and I do believe in angels and I often feel there is a spirit guardian watching over me as I wend my way
through life.

The militant secularism on display in modern Britain doesn't rest easy
with me. *I often wonder how those recently bereaved feel when they are
belittled by the likes of Richard Dawkins just because they seek comfort in the belief that their loved one has gone on to a better place.

I also think there are more people in Britain with spiritual beliefs
than the media would have you believe. *They may not follow any
prescribed religion but the desire to satisfy a spritual yearning is
evidenced by the growth of adherents of diciplines such as Kabbalah and
Buddhism.

So, where do you fit into the spectrum of faith?

DaveB
14th August 2012, 13:40
So, where do you fit into the spectrum of faith?

I have faith in my belief that you are a particularly tedious sockie.

SupremeSpod
14th August 2012, 13:40
I believe that what I believe is ***** all to do with you or anyone else.

How's that?

SimonMac
14th August 2012, 13:43
http://images.chemistdirect.co.uk/images/productimages/large/ibuleve_gel_5_2913.jpg

EternalOptimist
14th August 2012, 13:43
You are inconsistant.
The title talks about belief, the last line talks about faith.
These are not the same thing

apart from that, a good effort. well done

:rolleyes:

Malcolm Buggeridge
14th August 2012, 13:51

How's that?

A little churlish perhaps.

Halo Jones
14th August 2012, 13:58

Now if everyone could take this view the world would be a much happier place

On the matter of religion I had the Jehovah’s turn up the other day: I mentioned that I now require regular blood transfusions, they responded “its gods will for you to join him them” oh..right then..:eyes

darmstadt
14th August 2012, 14:03
I believe that if I stare long enough out of the window that the woman across the road will one day forget to pull her curtains before getting undressed.

oracleslave
14th August 2012, 14:07
I think we can all agree that a propensity for belief in the divine, the
supernatural, call it what you may is becoming increasingly frowned upon
in today's modern secular society.

No we can't you tedious twat.

hobnobbing it with the vicar

Bet you come away from that session with a face like a painters radio eh Malc?

MyUserName
14th August 2012, 14:40
I am an atheist an attend church on most Sundays because my wife wants to go with the kids but cannot attend the ceremony and watch them at the same time so I play with the children and day dream when they are in their groups and she keenly listens to the confirmation bias, argument from ingnorance, no true Scotsman and assorted other falacies.

d000hg
14th August 2012, 14:41

How's that?Boringly predictably post-modernist :)

d000hg
14th August 2012, 14:42
I am an atheist an attend church on most Sundays because my wife wants to go with the kids but cannot attend the ceremony and watch them at the same time so I play with the children and day dream when they are in their groups and she keenly listens to the confirmation bias, argument from ingnorance, no true Scotsman and assorted other falacies.So in short you go to church to play with children? Thanks for helping the stereotype!

Paddy
14th August 2012, 14:42
Thank God I’m an atheist

jmo21
14th August 2012, 14:46
"I believe in angels"

Come on, you have to sing it!

DaveB
14th August 2012, 14:48
"I believe in angels"

Come on, you have to sing it!

I believe I can fly.

MarillionFan
14th August 2012, 14:48
I believe I am God.

NotAllThere
14th August 2012, 14:49
I am an atheist an attend church on most Sundays because my wife wants to go with the kids but cannot attend the ceremony and watch them at the same time so I play with the children and day dream when they are in their groups and she keenly listens to the confirmation bias, argument from ingnorance, no true Scotsman and assorted other falacies.

I thought Phallasies was Shintoism, not Church of Scotland.

oracleslave
14th August 2012, 14:50
falacies.

Any vacancies in Sunday school?

northernladuk
14th August 2012, 14:53
Here is an interesting list for those non believers looking for their place

"Agnostic" in normal usage today means "don't know" or having an open mind about religious belief, especially the existence of God. It can also mean something much firmer: that nothing is known, or can possibly be known, about God or supernatural phenomena, and that it is wrong to claim otherwise. That is the original meaning of the word, and 19th century "agnostics" lived their lives atheistically in practice - that is, without any reference to any concepts of gods or the supernatural.

"Atheist" includes those who reject a belief in the existence of God or gods and those who simply choose to live without God or gods. Along with this will usually go disbelief in the soul, an afterlife, and all other religious beliefs.

"Freethinker" is used of those who reject authority and tradition in matters of all belief, including religious belief, preferring to think for themselves. It was a very popular term in the 19th century and is still used in some European countries by non-religious organisations to describe themselves.

"Humanist" is used today to mean those who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs. A humanist may embrace all or most of the other approaches introduced here, and in addition humanists believe that moral values follow on from human nature and experience in some way. Humanists base their moral principles on reason (which leads them to reject the idea of any supernatural agency), on shared human values and respect for others. They believe that people should work together to improve the quality of life for all and make it more equitable. Humanism is a full philosophy, "life stance" or worldview, rather than being about one aspect of religion, knowledge, or politics.

"Non-religious" – as well as those who are uninterested in religion or who reject it, this category may include the vague or unaffiliated, those who are only nominally or culturally affiliated to a religious tradition, and the superstitious.

"Rationalist" in this context, describing a non-religious belief, means someone who prioritises the use of reason and considers reason crucial in investigating and understanding the world. Rationalists usually reject religion on the grounds that it is unreasonable. (Rationalism is in contradistinction to fideism – positions which rely on or advocate "faith" in some degree).

"Skeptic" today usually means someone who doubts the truth of religious and other supernatural or "paranormal" beliefs, typically on rationalist grounds. ('Skeptic' also has a special philosophical meaning: someone who rejects or is skeptical with regard to all claims to knowledge).

"Secularists" believe that laws and public institutions (for example, the education system) should be neutral as between alternative religions and beliefs. Almost all humanists are secularists, but religious believers may also take a secularist position which calls for freedom of belief, including the right to change belief and not to believe. Secularists seek to ensure that persons and organisations are neither privileged nor disadvantaged by virtue of their religion or lack of it. They believe secular laws – those that apply to all citizens – should be the product of a democratic process, and should not be determined, or unduly influenced, by religious leaders or religious texts. The word "secularism" was once used to describe a non-religious worldview generally but this meaning is now very old fashioned.

Would be interesting to see how many people would pick one of these if offered rather than the normal load of crap lists.....

al_cam
14th August 2012, 19:57
lytchett gate

:spel

lych gate

bless 'em all
14th August 2012, 21:48
I believe I am God.

`I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly disappears in a puff of logic.

One Babel fish and MF is gone.

ZARDOZ
14th August 2012, 21:50

How's that?

That's lucky as no-one else gives a sh1t what you think.

quackhandle
14th August 2012, 21:59
Sceptical Agnostical Pantheist. With a slice of Buddhism.

Covers all bases I find.

Always wondered why the JW's think I need help in finding a religion, no one else does that.

If I need one I'll look around, no need to bang on the door of an afternoon when on the bench during naptime. :mad:

qh

MarillionFan
14th August 2012, 22:00

Apart from Old Greg. :eyes

ZARDOZ
14th August 2012, 22:02
Apart from Old Greg. :eyes

I thought SS was going out with the fella with the wetsuit and racing bike? They obviously aren't getting on at the moment hence the big queeny stomp above.

SimonMac
14th August 2012, 22:05

Well seen as the OP asked the question, I think at least one person does!

Robinho
14th August 2012, 22:10
I believe in reincarnation on the basis that it is impossible to experience nothing.

Bunk
14th August 2012, 22:26
I believe in reincarnation on the basis that it is impossible to experience nothing.

:laugh

Firstly, why is it impossible to experience nothing? And secondly, even if it is impossible, how do you make the jump from that to reincarnation?

hyperD
14th August 2012, 22:53
We're all in a simulation and I've taken the red pill and seen your pink,shrivelled, naked bodies nestling in the Fetus field pods and they're as pink, shrivelled and naked as your avatars.

MyUserName
14th August 2012, 23:01
I thought Phallasies was Shintoism, not Church of Scotland.

Scotland?

SupremeSpod
15th August 2012, 07:06

Obviously *you* do. Thanks. :hug:

EternalOptimist
15th August 2012, 07:13
I don't believe in any supernatural being, so I suppose that makes me a humanist.

I do believe in maximising the amount of happiness on the planet, and that is my guiding principle. Note that this is not the same as 'do no harm', so , for example, I would have no qualms about putting down a mad dog or a bad human, so long as the balance was tilted in the right direction.

:rolleyes:

eek
15th August 2012, 07:18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbSIhmjGXJM
HTH

NotAllThere
15th August 2012, 08:07
I saw her face. Now I'm a believer.

Pondlife
15th August 2012, 08:17
...the children are our future.

PorkPie
15th August 2012, 09:35
What does and doesn't exist - according to Dougal

They Don't Exist - TedsTees.com - The Official Home For Father Ted T-Shirts (http://www.tedstees.com/by-series/series-three/they-don-t-exist.html)

DaveB
15th August 2012, 09:42
I believe in a thing called love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYNYb30nxU

ThomasSoerensen
15th August 2012, 12:06
I believe in all religions,faiths, cults etc. bring it on and I will believe it and do my best to live by it.

Some call it hedging.

BolshieBastard
15th August 2012, 12:15
Dont believe in a deity although I do believe in one's destiny being mapped out.

Not sure what that means, could be the fact that we are all really holograms or, just part of a great big computer program!

EternalOptimist
15th August 2012, 12:35
Dont believe in a deity although I do believe in one's destiny being mapped out.

Not sure what that means, could be the fact that we are all really holograms or, just part of a great big computer program!

They are made out of meat. (http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/TheyMade.shtml)

d000hg
15th August 2012, 12:37
Always wondered why the JW's think I need help in finding a religion, no one else does that. You apart from the Christians and Muslims?

NotAllThere
15th August 2012, 12:38
You apart from the Christians and Muslims?

And the mormons. And the spanish inquisition.

TestMangler
15th August 2012, 12:39
And the mormons. And the spanish inquisition.

You expect the mormons though.....no one expects.....the other ones.

doomage
15th August 2012, 12:52
I believe permies go to heaven, but it turns out to be the same boring cubicle for eternity. Contractors obviously go to hell, which turns out to be a nice tax haven in the Caribbean.

Who will join my new religion?!! I need someone to run the day to day whilst I evangelise on TV and act as the figurehead.

MarillionFan
15th August 2012, 13:03
I believe permies go to heaven, but it turns out to be the same boring cubicle for eternity. Contractors obviously go to hell, which turns out to be a nice tax haven in the Caribbean.

Who will join my new religion?!! I need someone to run the day to day whilst I evangelise on TV and act as the figurehead.

What's the mileage on that?

doomage
15th August 2012, 13:11
What's the mileage on that?

I dunno, 2 or 3 posts if we're lucky.

d000hg
15th August 2012, 13:32
And the mormons. And the spanish inquisition.And the Scientologists although I don't know if they go door-to-door.

SimonMac
15th August 2012, 13:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0cEWzN0OWM

PorkPie
15th August 2012, 14:11

Really?! Why?

Troll
15th August 2012, 14:26
I also think there are more people in Britain with spiritual beliefs
than the media would have you believe. *They may not follow any
prescribed religion but the desire to satisfy a spritual yearning is
evidenced by the growth of adherents of diciplines such as Kabbalah and
Buddhism.

So, where do you fit into the spectrum of faith?You seen what happens to spiritualists when they annoy God?

Wrath of God (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2188719/Spiritualist-believed-life-determined-nature-killed-lightning-bolt-kayaking-sea.html)