• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Computerised MOT's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computerised MOT's

Now how hard can this be to implement?

Database of vehicles. Simple UI for garage owners to work with. It doesn't strike me as rocket science.

management.silicon.com/government/0,39024677,39131366,00.htm

The MOT computerisation project, which aims to take a million illegal and dangerous cars off the road, will now not be fully rolled out to testing stations and garages until at least next March - nearly three years after it was due to be delivered.

The original date for the first MOT stations to be computerised was May 2002 but faults discovered during extensive testing led to repeated delays. The first garages finally went live with the system in April this year but the government has now admitted it will not reach all 18,500 MOT garages until the end of March next year at the earliest.

Pathetic and all at tax payers expense. Is there no limit to the incompetence of the New Lie gravy trains?

I fail to see what the colour of the Government has to do with this.

This was just (another) Government department implementing (or rather overseeing the implementation of) a database with a few million entries and failing to do it correctly.

Happened all the time under the previous Tory Gevernment and it will happen all the time with the next (whenever that might be). Civil Servants are just rubbish at doing this function whichever party is in charge.

tim

Comment

Ok so where exactly do I have to take my computer for an MOT?

Comment

I do believe NL tilted the playing field in the direction of preferred suppliers.

EDS have been responsible for the last 12 major systems @#%$ ups but still manage to win more Govt. contracts.

The Tories put everything out to competetive tender so we at least got the cheapest @#%$ up.

Comment

Can anyone explain how EDS etc keep getting away with it???

When I used to work for a biggish IT company that supplied systems, the contracts we signed often had draconian clauses regarding failure to deliver on time. Mostly we pretty decent at delivering but on a few occasions when we really overan we were into massive penalty clauses and we had to pay them.

Why is it so difficult for the government to come up with proper contracts that protect the taxpayers' interest??

Comment

They can't afford to upset EDS - if they pullled the plug and walked out the IR would have to work out all our tax bills using paper and pencil.

True that would be quicker and cheaper but there isn't enough sustainable forest left in the UK to produce all that paper.

Comment

It's the incestuous nature of the New Lie and their "friends". Too many on the make, back handers and non-exec board members who happen to be Labour MP's now. Fecking disgraceful, but the media is owned by the New Lie, so the truth remains firmly under wraps....

Comment

"faults discovered during extensive testing led to repeated delays"

Testers 1 - 0 Developers

Hands together for my fellow testing brothers.

Comment

failures

Something is just very wrong with big projects that have lots of people involved and thus nobody is responsible. The stuff that IR needs is trivial, say Child Credits thing -- ffs, all you need is a bunch of tables with people details, simple interface for peopel who call in or send forms or even change them online, and monthly calculation of amount of money due -- thats fecking it.

Even with bloody redundancy and expensive Oracle database I just can't see how the f\/ck it can cost more than £1 mln to develop it, and best of all -- just how fecking stupid EDS should be to actually fail to make it work FFS! >:

Comment

Re: failures

I like the MOT system a mate of mine operates. £60 and no need to bother bringing the car in. Say no more.

Comment

Working...
                    X