PDA

View Full Version : Latest EuroMillions winners.

BolshieBastard
14th August 2012, 14:55
Going to use the £148m to have a 'normal family life' and he's going to expand his 2nd hand music store with his business partner.

Oh, and his wife has 'bought' her mum a ticket for tonight and sent it in the post to her :p

Really!?

SupremeSpod
14th August 2012, 14:58
Good luck to 'em.

Quite why you'd go public though escapes me.

Scrag Meister
14th August 2012, 15:06
Good luck to 'em.

WSSS

BolshieBastard
14th August 2012, 15:14
Good luck to 'em.

I believe its because they are told while they can refuse publicity, that neighbours, workmates and others etc tip off the papers \ media who the big winner is and other sorts of 'drip, drip' invasion of privacy.

If they go for the publicity, it all dies down quickly and arent in the spotlight or pestered as long.

Not sure if I belief it but that's what the rumour mills says!

BigTime
14th August 2012, 15:16
Good luck to 'em.

They must think all their friends will find out anyway so want to come out and continue their lives as normal. No doubt they'll all hate each other in no time and they'd have been better off disappearing.

nomadd
14th August 2012, 15:18

So he can be kidnapped from his shop and subsequently shot in the face when his wife refuses to pay up.

Some people just crave attention.

northernladuk
14th August 2012, 15:28
So he can be kidnapped from his shop and subsequently shot in the face when his wife moves abroad with the millions minus the cost of the hit man.

Some people just crave attention.

FTFY

d000hg
14th August 2012, 15:45
They must think all their friends will find out anyway so want to come out and continue their lives as normal. No doubt they'll all hate each other in no time and they'd have been better off disappearing.The only way to remain anonymous would be to simply tell your friends you're moving, like normal people do, and then move and pretend you were rich all along.

doodab
14th August 2012, 16:54
The only way to remain anonymous would be to simply tell your friends you're moving, like normal people do, and then move and pretend you were rich all along.

Or invest it, live off the income and pretend you were an it contractor and working overseas whenever you jet off somewhere nice.

SupremeSpod
14th August 2012, 17:06
Or invest it, live off the income and pretend you were an it contractor and working overseas whenever you jet off somewhere nice.

Investing that amount of money would be a full-time job.

In fact, investing the interest would be a full time job.

Lucky f*ckers.

d000hg
14th August 2012, 17:07
Or invest it, live off the income and pretend you were an it contractor and working overseas whenever you jet off somewhere nice.A bit pointless winning all that money if all you do is live off a modest-to-good 'salary'. You'd at least want a decent house.

escapeUK
14th August 2012, 17:10
I dont get it either. Id be off living the life of one of the characters on gossip girl with that sort of wealth. (Dynasty for you of the older generations)

nomadd
14th August 2012, 17:49
A bit pointless winning all that money if all you do is live off a modest-to-good 'salary'. You'd at least want a decent house.

Well, even on a poor 4% return (bonds), you'd still be looking at £600k a year. I could slum it on that. :)

Still, I agree. I'd stick the £48 million away in safe, long-term investments and pi55 the other £100 million on enjoying myself.

d000hg
14th August 2012, 18:43
You can also factor in interest and say "I want the money to last me until I die in X years" where X has some room for safety. And stick £5m in a safe-house.

kingcook
14th August 2012, 18:48
Well, even on a poor 4% return (bonds), you'd still be looking at £600k a year. I could slum it on that. :)

4% of £148m is £6m

BolshieBastard
14th August 2012, 18:54
I'd be altruistic with that amount of money. Hell, I may even pay for a party for HMRC's staff :tongue (like ****, I would!)

aussielong
14th August 2012, 20:26
They said they are going to give a lot away.

Good on 'em. Now where's my pad and pen..

SueEllen
14th August 2012, 20:54
They said they are going to give a lot away.

Good on 'em. Now where's my pad and pen..

If I cut both your legs off you may both get some.

minestrone
14th August 2012, 21:14
A close relative of mine won a good few million on the lottery. Some hassled him for money until he paid out a wedge and then some of the people that never got anything then got real pissed off.

I never got anything and never got pissed off bit I did get the impression dumping vast fortunes onto people is not a good thing.

hyperD
14th August 2012, 23:04
After you bought your own private island, what else is there left to do and enjoy?

You'd need to fill it with your friends. So you'd pay them off to live on your island.

And ruin their dreams. Their purpose.

And eventually everyone you loved, their lives.

Still, I'd love a stack of cash to piss about flying Twin Otter aircraft in the Maldives for fun, barefoot in the left hand seat, with a dirty blonde bird as my flight officer, flying part time for kicks, lobsters and all the Mai Tais I could cram into the cockpit. :smokin

SupremeSpod
15th August 2012, 07:03

Still, I agree. I'd stick the £48 million away in safe, long-term investments and pi55 the other £100 million on enjoying myself.

4% of £148m is £6m

Nomadd went to the Russell School of Accountancy, obviously...

You'd have to do something to mitigate any future tax liability on your returns though, shirley? :devil

After all, half of £6,000,000 can pay for an awful lot of legal and accounting advice :wink

EternalOptimist
15th August 2012, 07:35
I would hire a team of nubile blonde female dwarfs, with pert bazongas, to follow me around all day on their hands and knees balancing trays of ice cold fozzies and bowls of salted peanuts on their backs.
The one that kept up the best would get a bonus of 10,000 at the end of the day, plus a day off. The one that did the worst would have to sing three choruses of 'heigh ho' and have to massage my feet for an hour with a scented ear bud.

and I would offer half to the spice girls if they promised to disband again

:rolleyes:

gingerjedi
15th August 2012, 07:52
After you bought your own private island, what else is there left to do and enjoy?

Something philanthropic? A sports academy or learning centre, something lazy fat arsed layabouts won't be interested in. :D

lukemg
15th August 2012, 08:20
This will almost certainly completely f*** up their lives completely.
Going public is a huge mistake, begging letters will be arriving from all corners of the globe while the scum of the planet makes plans to get their hands on some of the cash.
Everyone they have ever met will be looking for a payout too.
A million would have set them up nicely and still allowed them to keep a grip on reality, this much, all at once is going to destroy them and many others.

chef
15th August 2012, 08:25
Going public is a huge mistake, begging letters will be arriving from all corners of the globe while the scum of the planet makes plans to get their hands on some of the cash.
A million would have set them up nicely and still allowed them to keep a grip on reality, this much, all at once is going to destroy them and many others.

is that going in your letter for reasons why they should invest in the 'lugemg charitable donations fund'?

lukemg
15th August 2012, 08:53
Well - first thing they can do is setup a charitable foundation with 20 mill in. This to be invested, 90% of return distributed, 10% retained - ad infinitum. All begging to go to that for review and consideration.

d000hg
15th August 2012, 09:14
A million would have set them up nicely and still allowed them to keep a grip on reality, this much, all at once is going to destroy them and many others.The world is full of rich high profile people who didn't get their money from the lottery. You surely do get begging letters but you can hire someone to vet your mail.

shaunbhoy
15th August 2012, 10:20
I'd be altruistic with that amount of money. Hell, I may even pay for a party for HMRC's staff :tongue (like ****, I would!)

We know that. You don't even like paying your fair share as it is.

:eyes

kingcook
15th August 2012, 10:33
I'd be more concerned about my kids being kidnapped and a randsom being demanded.

kingcook
15th August 2012, 10:36
I would hire a team of nubile blonde female dwarfs, with pert bazongas, to follow me around all day on their hands and knees balancing trays of ice cold fozzies and bowls of salted peanuts on their backs.
The one that kept up the best would get a bonus of 10,000 at the end of the day, plus a day off. The one that did the worst would have to sing three choruses of 'heigh ho' and have to massage my feet for an hour with a scented ear bud.

and I would offer half to the spice girls if they promised to disband again

I'm silently laughing my ass off with tears and with my hand covering my mouth (trying not to get noticed by other people at my client's office!)

:rollin:

BrilloPad
15th August 2012, 11:44
Apparently with lottery winners they only become happy for a few months or so.

Though personally I would prefer to live miserably in comfort than squalor.

BolshieBastard
15th August 2012, 12:11
We know that. You don't even like paying your fair share as it is.

:eyes

Would you like to point us all to this tax law that states one 'should pay their fair share' or are you just pandering to the proletariat masses, you ignorant biff?

shaunbhoy
15th August 2012, 16:14
Would you like to point us all to this tax law that states one 'should pay their fair share'

There is no "law", merely a moral obligation.
Of course it is only really applicable to those blessed with morality, so I can see why someone like you might have failed to pick up on it

HTH

BolshieBastard
15th August 2012, 16:38
There is no "law", merely a moral obligation.
Of course it is only really applicable to those blessed with morality, so I can see why someone like you might have failed to pick up on it

HTH

Ah right. So taxation in this country is now based, according to you, on a 'moral obligation' and not statute.

Im guessing then that 'morally' you take no steps to lessen the amount of tax you pay and take your contracting money fully compliant with IR35, yes ie 5% expenses, full tax and NI on the rest?

Im also guessing you have no compunction at paying any amount of tax HMRC defines as a 'fair share.' Why then bother having a Chancellor determine the rate of income tax, (corporation \ VAT for that matter) and having a Budget become law when all we need is HMRC to say what is a 'fair share.'

Sysman
15th August 2012, 17:03
Investing that amount of money would be a full-time job.

In fact, investing the interest would be a full time job.

Yep. When the National Lottery first started I heard that for big winners they'd want to see you in person and have a set of financial advisers there ready to relieve you of help you manage your new found wealth.

Getting through that lot of sharks would be my first hurdle.

Fending off the hangers on and scroungers is another problem. I used to sup with a self made millionaire and he really got sick of not being able to enjoy a quiet pint without someone pestering him to contribute to a new minibus or whatever current fund raising effort was going on.

Lucky f*ckers.

I like the chance to see how I got on, certainly :D

Sysman
15th August 2012, 17:06
A bit pointless winning all that money if all you do is live off a modest-to-good 'salary'. You'd at least want a Dim Prawn style mansion.

FTFY.

d000hg
15th August 2012, 17:20
Ah right. So taxation in this country is now based, according to you, on a 'moral obligation' and not statute.

Im guessing then that 'morally' you take no steps to lessen the amount of tax you pay and take your contracting money fully compliant with IR35, yes ie 5% expenses, full tax and NI on the rest?

Im also guessing you have no compunction at paying any amount of tax HMRC defines as a 'fair share.' Why then bother having a Chancellor determine the rate of income tax, (corporation \ VAT for that matter) and having a Budget become law when all we need is HMRC to say what is a 'fair share.'
As well as morality you have to be blessed with basic common sense. I can see why you're struggling.

BolshieBastard
15th August 2012, 18:09
As well as morality you have to be blessed with basic common sense. I can see why you're struggling.

Go on, admit it. You havent a fookin clue what you're talking about. Go on, set yourself free. :popcorn: