• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project too good to miss - but Indian consultancy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project too good to miss - but Indian consultancy?

Been approached by an Indian consultancy who need someone 'good technically' and can demonstrate proofs of concept 'quick' 'on the fly'. lol.

Now I suspect they're looking to get me to do a plenty quickness job, get rid of me before i've done a complete job (i.e. when they think they can get by) and then get offshore bob (fresh off a training course!) to copy-paste and ruin everything.

But realistically they won't be able to handle it themselves as the technology area is complex for newbies...

I'm a bit tempted as they've landed a project with a major client here and I don't think the end-client is doing anything in-house. I'm thinking if I can negotiate favourable payment terms (like if I only risk 1 or 2 weeks of invoices?)

The BobCo is none of the usual suspects - tcs, wipro et al. though.

I reckon its too easy to tar everyone with the same brush, but on the other hand I've done this and if I was to give any advice it's that:

Its workable and both times i've been left to operate without any interuptions.

Late payments from both of them, I ended up furiously rowing with them and walking out 1 day to get the terms reduced from 30 to 14 days, so at least I'd get it in 30. The longest I waited for payment was 3 calendar months.

Read the contract thoroughly, but act quickly.

Get paid by faster payments in GBP if at all possible.

Comment

I know someone who worked for them full-time in Europe. Was off sick and they didn't pay, they were told it was illegal, they still didn't pay.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
        I reckon its too easy to tar everyone with the same brush, but on the other hand I've done this and if I was to give any advice it's that:

Its workable and both times i've been left to operate without any interuptions.

Late payments from both of them, I ended up furiously rowing with them and walking out 1 day to get the terms reduced from 30 to 14 days, so at least I'd get it in 30. The longest I waited for payment was 3 calendar months.

Read the contract thoroughly, but act quickly.

Get paid by faster payments in GBP if at all possible.
        A mate of mine worked through a bob consultancy for a role in Prague. Payments were a problem and I think they didn't pay his final month.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
          A mate of mine worked through a bob consultancy for a role in Prague. Payments were a problem and I think they didn't pay his final month.
          It seems that the only thing they are good at is landing (and management ) of all blue chip projects currently undertaken in the UK (and Europe ? ). First - promise impossible, then worry about the resources to fulfill this crazy man dream. I wish that they were left to their own devices. Why they cannot find technical resources in India, Its a 1Bn nation of technical geniuses? Think about it ...
          If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Working...
          X