• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The green eyed monster

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The green eyed monster

I hate it when people have a dig at me for 'being loaded' (even though I'm not particularly 'loaded').

"Oh he'll be OK he's got 5 houses" (what?!)
    "And he earns £xxx per day"
    "Why don't you just get that Porsche"
    "It's alright for him, he's got a big house" (F**ks sake it's only a house and it isn't that big)

etc etc

F**king bedwetters: these are people who as permies earn > £100k a year (one of them £250k), but largely they just don't have a clue on how to manage their money. And then one of them tells me that someone offerred him to contract at £1,000 a day (believable, he's a senior manager) and yet he won't do it. I guess they might as well keep wetting their beds.

Why did you tell them your rate?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

5 houses?

Pauper.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        I hate it when people have a dig at me for 'being loaded' (even though I'm not particularly 'loaded').

"It's alright for him, he's got a big house" (F**ks sake it's only a house and it isn't that big)

etc etc

F**king bedwetters: these are people who as permies earn > £100k a year (one of them £250k), but largely they just don't have a clue on how to manage their money. And then one of them tells me that someone offerred him to contract at £1,000 a day (believable, he's a senior manager) and yet he won't do it. I guess they might as well keep wetting their beds.
        I can only see one bedwetter around here...
        We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
        - Douglas Adams

Comment

etc etc

I always find it good to just smile at them and carry on with their rant (bit like shaunieboy really!).

It's their problem, not mine.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Tbh I don't see how someone commenting on the fact they see you as wealthy as being "a dig". Surely their jealousy is a compliment towards your success??
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

etc etc

So let me get this straight, you go to a new place of work, which may only last three to six months and in conversation you tell them your hourly rate, throw in a mention of your BTL properties, discuss your own residence including how small or big it may be and then you wonder why they are being a tad green eyed?

The only topics left to mention are the low annual ISA allowance, the low level of interest on one year fixed rate bonds, oh, forgot to mention the pitiful £85k FSA protection per financial institution and finally how one has the unenvious task of juggling a war chest between numerous institutions to keep it safe.

On a serious note, I think it's best for contractors to stay off these topics if we do not want to become hate figures for the financially prolifigate. IBs are full of folks who thought they had a right to earn the sums of the last decade because they were some how 'gifted', failing to realise that we all enjoyed the lifestyle thanks to the Brown bubble and it perhaps had very little to do with our ability.
              Last edited by insur; 15 August 2012, 22:29.

Comment

Those who have it never talk about money
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Just ask Sas.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X