• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

house buying?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

house buying?

I'm thinking of coming back to the UK (probably have to change my forum name) and, worse, wondering about going permanent.

Thing is, I want to buy a house. Have neglected to have any equity (or at least to hang on to it). So the question is, is it better to get a job in a company that gives good deals on mortgages, or is it better just to contract and take the money?

Buy for cash. It's the contractors' way.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
      I'm thinking of coming back to the UK (probably have to change my forum name) and, worse, wondering about going permanent.

Thing is, I want to buy a house. Have neglected to have any equity (or at least to hang on to it). So the question is, is it better to get a job in a company that gives good deals on mortgages, or is it better just to contract and take the money?
      Hmmm. Depends on the mortgage deal obviously, but on balance I would say get a good contract. Your rate of saving should exceed the rate of house price increases. If you're really lucky, the imminent crash will happen soon.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
        the imminent crash

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You ARE Janek and I claim my £5!!
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by expat
          Wouldn't buy now. Prices are stable again after a year of moderate growth. They won't go up too much anyway. Go renting for a while, it's safer. You can still remain expat, you only expatriate from an another country.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
            ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You ARE Janek and I claim my £5!!
            What goes up in the short term must come down. Nothing breaks that fundamental law.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

What goes up in the short term must come down. Nothing breaks that fundamental law.
              A bit like el Duder's manhood while he is frantically rubbing himself under the desk as his imaginary girlfriend walks past.

Comment

Bollocks!
                We are not talking about gravity you dimwit.
                If your assertion were true then houseprices would not have changed over the last few centuries. Check it out.............they have!!!
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

If you approach the high street mortgage lenders they'll say you need to be self employed for over two years.

However a good mortgage broker will get you a mortgage with the high street lenders without much hassle even if you have less than two years' books. You'll need to show them your current and previous contracts, so perhaps apply at the start of your second contract or first renewal.

Got my mortgage through a broker for 100 UKP fee, and frankly he earned this anyhow with all the chasing up and form filling he did. Let me know if you want his number.

Alternatively try Contractor Money. I thought they were a bit expensive though.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
                    Bollocks!
                    We are not talking about gravity you dimwit.
                    If your assertion were true then houseprices would not have changed over the last few centuries. Check it out.............they have!!!
                    A little over-extended are we?
                    I'll try to avoid the personal abuse that you so obviously richly deserve.
                    You obviously missed the "short-term" in my earlier post.
                    Are you saying the IMF are wrong when they warn that a house price correction is the most serious threat in the medium term to the economies of the US and the UK?
                    In which case I bow to your superior wisdom
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X